I'm lazy, will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMKsuburbannoise

Reaction score
I got an Oktoberfest kit that is a lager. I don't want to watch them temp so much on account that I am slightly busy and really lazy. Says I should get it to around 54 on my second fermentation and then leave it set for a couple weeks. Can I put it in the garage with blankets around it and keep it as close to 54 as possible? I'm trying to say, if it goes down to say 40 degrees, will that ruin it?

If it gets that low the yeastie beasties will go night night...bottom end of just about every lager yeast is 46*. You will end up with a stuck fermentation

it's been around 20 here in Chicago for the past week. I imagine it will get back up to the 30s soon. I am going to experiment with temps before I put it out there. I have a lot of blankets. I have a few weeks in the primary before I have to worry. If I can get the right amount of blankets, then I hope I will be ok. I have a used freezer that is not plugged in that will work well for insulation.

I figure 20 outside, means another 10 to 15 inside the garage.

Sorry, I didn't read closely enough to realize you were talking secondary. If primary is finished you are good at those temps.

Latest posts

Back