Wiseguy Wiezenbock critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
An offshoot from Papazians Phat Fired Weizenbock. I doubled up the wheat (2-4#) and increased the pilsen a bit to get to 1.070. LHBS didn't have German Caraffe either so the SRM is a bit lighter but still within range. Since I already got the grain and is milled I'm pretty much locked in but I got two questions. with 4# wheat (30%) should I get some rice hulls and would you multi-step this? Issue is this is going to be a squeeze in my 5g mash. the two wheats I made were not good efficiency. I appreciate comments. 1st time with this type of brew and 1st multi-step if I do it.

Wiseguy Weizenbock
Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.75
Anticipated OG: 1.070 Plato: 17.16
Anticipated SRM: 13.6
Anticipated IBU: 23.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
47.3 6.50 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
29.1 4.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
18.2 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
3.6 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
1.8 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
0.0 0.00 lbs. Carafa Germany 1.030 400

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Spalter Spalt Pellet 4.75 19.3 60 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 4.50 1.5 5 min.
1.00 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 4.50 3.0 2 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs: 13.75
Water Qts: 12.69 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.17 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 0.92 - Before Additional Infusions
Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 133 Time: 30
Intermediate Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp : 155 Time: 45
Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 167 Time: 5

I was fooling around with a weizenbock recipe myself the other day. Yours looks pretty similar to mine, with the main difference being I included about 50percent wheat in the bill. Also, I would be careful with late hop additions. Seems like you mostly want a little hop bitterness, but not much flavoring for this style. Regardless, that sounds like a good beer to me. If you are worried about the color, bump the chocolate up to .5 lbs. That will get you into the brown range, as opposed to amber.

I am with you on mash tun size, although I might convert a bigger ice chest by the time I get to brewing this beer. With 7lbs wheat, I am definitely going to need some rice hulls, I would think you should throw some in too. Multi-step isn't necessary, especially if you don't have much room to dump in extra water.

By the way, I will be visiting Tucson this week. Any brewpub suggestions?

Thanks, think I'll add .5 rice and pick up another .25 of the chocolate. I contemplated the choc as I was filling/milling this yesterday but I didn't know the profile of Caraffe until I got home and researched. Sounds pretty much like black patent. Not going to multi-step; there is no room I'm sure.

Brewpubs:
Nimbus (south central) - Best microbrew in AZ IMO. However it's in a wierd place; industrial district. They rigged up a bar & basic eateries right in their brewery (big batches). No frills but a cool place if you don't mind biker mentality. At least they have real furniture now; it used to be Goodwill couches and such. Live bands usually Fri/Sat. All about the beer here. Maybe lunch as you could get lost at night. Can get some of their beer on tap in many places 'round town. http://www.nimbusbeer.com/

Thunder Canyone brewery (N/W side) - Typical attached to mall brewpub (Foothills Mall). I'm here a lot as it's right near my house. Beer is "good" but not spectacular. I know everybody there; one of the "Norm's" http://www.thundercanyonbrewery.com/

BJ's - (Central/north) Chain place but the best food of them all. Beer is not as good as nimbus and better than TCB in my opinion. http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/

Old Chicago - (central) Another chain place but lots of beer on tap (100 I guess)? Best part is the eye candy as it's near UA. http://www.oldchicago.com/

Or head down to 4th ave near the college for other regular bars etc. Not knowing your age of course.

Back