- P90x -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, one more day of stretch, and then on to phase 2. I'm really starting to get this stuff. I even got through most of that first section of yoga tonight. I'm not flexible enough to get 'r done yet, but I'm making progress.

side note: I could never ever do yoga in a public class. Waaaayyy to many fart poses:eek:

It's funny, a friend at work just asked me about p90x and I laughed at her because I have p90 (the regular version - the original) and IT kicked my butt. I'm a 6'1" 190# guy in pretty good shape, so I thought. P90 put me in what I considered excellent shape in 90 days, (for a 45 year old - 49 now but was 45 at the time) dropped to 170# and was pretty cut. At the time I finished p90x just came out and I passed because I was in good enough shape to do what I do (surf) and was fine with continuing the p90 exercises. My neighbor got p90x and I did some with him and it was too intense for me, too much impact. I'm the opposite of most people, the yoga is easy for me but the other stuff kills me. So, I'm going to lend her (friend at work) my p90 and see if she can handle that before she does the 90x... 90x is freakin' extreme! If you are having trouble with it do P90 regular (non x) first :)

Yeah, definitely good to get somewhat in shape before trying P90X. I'm considering my first time through practice for when I can really do it the second time through. I'm getting better, but I'm definitely not always keeping up with those mean bastards on my tv.

My wife did slim-in-6 last year and liked it. She dropped weight quicker with that than she is with p90x, and she plans to go through that again after we finish p90x.

I did some of the slim-in-6 with her last year and it seemed like it was a lot of cardio type stuff. The p90x plyometrics disc really wrecks me. That's the most intense workout of the system IMO. My quads and gluts are still a little sore from Tuesday.

Plyo and Yoga were really hard for me. I have bad problems with my knees (cracked knee cap playing football in highschool) and Im only 28!

The hardest one that I did was the legs one. Where it kept making me do lunges.

i did it for about a week or 2, than stopped. started up awhile after, did it for 3 weeks than quit. thinking about trying it once again

Ouch!

A gym just isn't in the cards for us with our lifestyle and current financial obligations.

I knew I was overweight (duh) but, I never realized until starting this just how stiff and inflexible my body had become.

Did I mention how badly I hurt?

Amen and Amen! I picked the Power 90 instead of the P90X after searching and looking at a lot of reviews. I was in pretty good shape in college because I had time to work out. Since then, a desk job and a husband who can cook has completely done me in! The reviews I read made it sound like the Power 90 was a good starting step with the 90X workouts being a lot harder.

I started the Power 90 about 2 weeks ago, went for a full week, then had to work a couple of overnight shifts that really messed up my routine. I'm starting again tonite. I'd love to do the workouts in the morning, but found the workouts are way to hard for me first thing in the morning without eating first. I just can't handle that puky feeling, and getting up at 2 or 3am so I can eat before my workout isn't going to work.

Good luck to those of you on the program! I think like anything else, it'll work if you stick to it.

My bro is down to 180-185 and feels good. Dogged it a bit the last couple weeks but is going to start it again next week. I'm down to 206.5 struggling to do my crossfit 3 days a week, due to sickness and crappy work problems. I know it is no excuse but I do what warmup I can at home at least. August will be the test when we both jog down the beach and see who sucks it up. Now we both can't drink like we used too.

I finished up 60 days pretty much on plan, and the results are very, very good. I'm quite happy.

I've been busy and have taken about a week off, but my metabolism is in such high gear now I keep losing weight without working out:ban: Even with elevated :tank: the past two weekends.

I'm out of town next week, but I'll get back on when I get back home. I'll just pick up with phase 3 and hope for the best. I'll do the 90 days again starting in mid-August when I'll have three months of uninterrupted time at home.

Just finished phase 1, which I extended to 4 weeks of workout before my break week. I did this because I'll be away for part of my next week and it will be easier to do cardio/rest than a full routine. I understand why the program is prescribed as 3 weeks of workouts, this 4th was killer! (the brochure says you can extend up to 6 weeks/phase

I'm not following the diet, but I eat very well (and high protein) anyways. I haven't lost a single pound according to the scale, but I know that fat has decreased and muscle/definition has increased, so I consider it a win so far. I'm not really in it to lose weight, I dropped 35 pounds in the spring when I took up running. My goal is stronger core, better muscle definition. Got a bit of a tweak in my back that hopefully the week off will help.

As for supplements, I've been taking Jack3d a few times a week when I'm going to be doing long workouts. That **** gets you pumped up- don't take it less than 6 hours before bed unless you plan on drinking to help you sleep! I mentioned I already eat high protein. I'm using Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard and their Platinum Whey (both chocolate, yum)- made a delicious chocolate pumpkin recovery drink yesterday. I've also been running in addition to the videos. Nothing too major, 3 or 4 ~4 mile runs a week.... Running is my de-stress activity (been drinking less) so I have to do it.

DRINK WATER! I'm back in school now, so that has severely limited my intake and I'm down to about 100-128oz a day- if you're looking to lose weight, this will help!

A lady at work has it and I got a copy. Still debating if I even want to go through with it. Everyone I know says it's the most painful thing they've ever encountered. And also the best workout.

My wife, 18 y/o son and myself started P90x last week. We bought bands, door frame mounted pull up bar and some free weights. This is an awesome workout so far. Did legs and back yesterday... my hamstrings and ass are killing me, but in a good way! I've gotten soft and lazy over the years (23+ USMC) and P90x is definitely getting my attention! :rockin:

A lady at work has it and I got a copy. Still debating if I even want to go through with it. Everyone I know says it's the most painful thing they've ever encountered. And also the best workout.

Do it! Its incredible. It really only hurts for the first two weeks. After the first arms and back workout I couldn't curl my arms up for two days w/o feeling like I was stretching them hard... after that its been pretty easy, you feel mild muscle fatigue for a day or so after the workout, at worst.

In my experience.:rockin:

I made it through to the end.. Went from 230 to 195. Heavy lifting afterwards helpd bulk me up a bit while staying the same weight. Greatworkout. Started instanity.. F**** that!! would love to do another round of p90x but just don't have the time required.

I started p90x last week. Got through two works outs before I f'ed up my left bicep pretty bad. Went overboard with the 40lb dumbbells and now I got a mild tear in my left bicep and can't lift anything over 10lbs for two weeks on doc's orders. I figure I will continue with the abs, yoga, and kenpo stuff as best I can for the time being. So if you are doing this, TAKE IT EASY on the weights and remember to stretch before and after.

So after a few months of looking at this infomercial I decided to buy it. Anyone else out there that has used it who can comment on it? The workouts seem like they will be ok, but I dont know how willing I am to give up beer for 90 days.. and have grass and water for 3 meals a day.

The workouts are intense and as long as you eat semi-healthy and get PLENTY of protein post-workout and throughout the day, you will do just fine. Trust me, but after you put in a week's worth of workouts, you start eating better so you know you aren't wasting your time.

My biggest complaint is the time commitment. Literally 90 min a day at a minimum to do the full system, but the results are amazing.

Do it! Its incredible. It really only hurts for the first two weeks.

After the first couple of intense leg sessions you get the "fall into your seat" effect. You can't squat down onto the crapper without your legs giving out and just slamming onto the seat, LOL!

I did P90x and would like to do it again, but each workout is too time consuming. I feel like there's some fluff that could be trimmed out to get maybe a 30min/day workout. I'd be much more willing to do that every day. I am a little ADD though.

I already exercised pretty regularly and tried a round of P90x last year almost all the way through and was fairly satisfied with the results. It improved my cardio endurance quite a bit, but half way through I started adding running a few days a week in addition to the program, so that helped too.

I didn't need to lose any weight, but rather wanted to pack on some muscle. I think P90x is just so-so for this because it doesn't incorporate any heavy lifting, just body weight and dumbbell exercises. I got pretty cut up and had good muscular endurance, but didn't gain much weight.

I wound up quitting and just went with weightlifting and running for cardio and that is much better for my goals. I mix in some of the p90x workouts sometimes for variety and "muscle confusion."

I think i might look into a gym that offers Crossfit in a few months. It intrigues me...

I think i might look into a gym that offers Crossfit in a few months. It intrigues me...

Me too. They have some interesting stuff and alot of it I can do on my own... but the heavy lifting and stuff like rope climbs I need somewhere to go to do... The opened one near my university recently, for our rugby team's actually, so hopefully it will be affordable for students because the ones I have seen are expensive as hell! 15 bucks a visit? You gotta be ****tin me!

The workouts are intense and as long as you eat semi-healthy and get PLENTY of protein post-workout and throughout the day, you will do just fine. Trust me, but after you put in a week's worth of workouts, you start eating better so you know you aren't wasting your time.

My biggest complaint is the time commitment. Literally 90 min a day at a minimum to do the full system, but the results are amazing.

There is no way I'm doing 90 minutes a day. I can barely find days to do a 30 minute bike ride! It would also be nice to have the room to do this. When we did the first gen of Power90 we struggled a bit because we didn't even have the room to stretch out, not with both of us doing it. We've added rooms since then, but they are all on the smaller side.

Maybe this weekend I'll pop them in and see what they offer.

SWMBO and I were both looking at ourselves in the mirror and deciding that our first 8 months of marriage have left us a little bit out of shape (about 30lbs gained between the both of us). We want to stop it before it gets any worse. So far all we can drag ourselves to do is go to the apartment complex gym for 30min of cardio twice a week.
I am a very lean guy, about 6'1" and 176 (which is the second heaviest i have been my whole life). I just want to stop my developing beer belly and get back down to my normal low 160's.
SWMBO just wants to drop weight, be more fit, ect...

So which of these very similarly named programs might be helpful? I doubt we could do 1.5 hours a day but 30-40min a day with a change in diet seems possible.

SWMBO and I were both looking at ourselves in the mirror and deciding that our first 8 months of marriage have left us a little bit out of shape (about 30lbs gained between the both of us). We want to stop it before it gets any worse. So far all we can drag ourselves to do is go to the apartment complex gym for 30min of cardio twice a week.
I am a very lean guy, about 6'1" and 176 (which is the second heaviest i have been my whole life). I just want to stop my developing beer belly and get back down to my normal low 160's.
SWMBO just wants to drop weight, be more fit, ect...

So which of these very similarly named programs might be helpful? I doubt we could do 1.5 hours a day but 30-40min a day with a change in diet seems possible.

Check and see if there is a crossfit gym near you. They're pricey, from everything I've heard, but all the workouts I have seen are 30 min or under. If you have free weights you may even be able to do some days without going to the gym. http://www.crossfit.com/

The hardest thing is to get motivated. At least for me.

A gym is not a bad idea in that regard. If you can get into one that has "classes" where you have a trainer to push you, so much the better.

My process is simple: Less grains, starches and sugars, and more meats veggies and fruits. Overall a lower intake.

Add some regular stationary bike riding, about 30-40 minutes a day as often as I can.

I'm not losing a ton, but my wife and I have noticed my gut is shrinking, and I've lost about 15 lbs the past month and a half or so. (And since school started getting on the bike has been harder).

Using weights is effective for burning calories, but cardio is good for improving your overall health too. I'm looking to start using light weights to add to my bike riding and mild cardio.

My Wife I think wants to do the Slim in 6 program, since its a little less intense looking than the p90x and neither of us are really looking to muscle out, just slim down a bit. Its also cheaper, so I'm on board with that. However, we have start to almost regularly go to the apartment gym and use the treadmills/elliptical for about 30min 3 days a week.

I'm doing Power 90, because P90x is out of my league....but I want to work into it. So, my plan is to do p90 then add in the p90 master series. Then do P90x. When I started on 9/27 I weighted 326 now I am 314. My daily calorie intake is 1500 to 1800.

What I like about power 90 is the workouts are under 45min.

I want to get free weights, because the bands suck. I had a band break yesterday :mad:. The f'er sounded like a gun shot, and I nearly pissed my self.

Well time for me to go do cardio 1-2.

I finished the 60 days I had time for last spring before summer vacation schedules killed the program. Now I'm doing the full 90 days. I'm in my 7th week and starting to love it again:eek:. I can't wait to see what days 60 - 90 bring:rockin:

Oh, and I even pulled off the crotch-grab maneuver in Yoga last week!

Latest posts

Back