Colour loss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zarrie22

Reaction score
Hi I have been making country wines at home with great success for many years!
Only yesterday I raked out of my shed an old demijohn with a dandelion wine 1994 label on… Oh my how time flies!

This year I decided to keep the majority of my summer/ autumn hedgerow harvest in the freezer until I had collected enough to make a large vat of fruit laden Port using a “Olde English Port” recipie I found online.
It contained mainly red fruits, raspberries, blackcurrants, blackberries and elderberries along with apples a banana..and fermented using a high alcohol tolerant dessert yeast along with the usual sugars and nutrients…. I fermented in a dark plastic container in a dark cupboard but when I came to rack my rich red wine was so disappointed to find a perfectly clear white liquor ..it tastes delicious… (very strong alcohol).
But what happened to my lovely rich red wine that I was going to rack and add brandy to to make my port???
Any advice greatfully accepted

Zarriy😁

PS This was the first time I have ever fermented with a grain to add body ( wheat malt mix) I had it in a muslin bag suspended in the fermentation container for the first two weeks!

Yep, its a loss...
Colour to color, lost the "u".

Anyhow, starting color and final color seem to vary a lot, not sure why. Id guess solids falling out or alcohol being a solvent stripping colors or light exposure. Just tons of variables to consider

Thanks for your reply....your obviously from across the pond;)...seems such a weird thing to happen since I followed the recipie for a ruby red port...oh well its a drinkable plonk!!�� I might leave out the brandy!

metabisulfite will tend to strip the colour so if you used very much that will be why. Also, to get colour you need to ferment the whole fruit then press the remaining pulp.

Back