Preventing stall in fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vex3521

Reaction score
I use sna but sg was way higher than usual (so thinking I really should have step fed instead of using my honey volume at once, oops) and I'm using d-47 so worried about keeping this one going.

1 gal batch, temperature was off so the + 0.02 adjustment for that has me sitting at 1.187 but brewers friend says 1.190 so it's up there.

Thoughts?

Looks like it's getting a slow start so going to be seriously managing this one. Expected as much with d-47 so guess I'll update tomorrow.

1.140 is considered extremely high. What you have is not possible. You need to dilute with water to at least 1.14 yo have any shot at this.

Hydrometer stops at 1.160 and was up past that another 2 1/2 measurement brackets where it settled so I literally had to measure them to see what it was showing me. This is the one I currently own, it stopped just shy of the black band above 1.160 at the bottom of the label.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hydrometer-triplescale.html Have a thermohydrometer on order now however.

Since temperature was off (84 degrees vs 70)there should have been another 0.02 adjustment and double checking with software told me 1.190 vs the 1.187 with temp adjustment.

Recipe was as follows - 1 gallon batch

4.04 lbs honey (clover, local supply) - was going for full 4lbs but that extra .04 got in on me
4 oz simple syrup (2:1 ratio of cane sugar to water boiled to syrup)
2.3L water
5g Lalvin D-47
1.25g KHCO3
5g Fermaid O
2.5g yeast energizer (LD Carlson brand - diammonium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, yeast hulls and vitamin B complex)
1.25g grape tannin

Gravity as of this am is 1.160 @74 degrees, so checked adjustments for temp via brewer's friend says 1.160 is correct. Figured first addition should be around the 1.160 mark so have done that and will just keep eyes on it.

Pictures:

Last night - lighting was a little dark, it's the left most carboy

Today - temperature/fermentation

Today - hydrometer

Still going well, 1.105 right now so it'll be a while but not slowing up or showing signs of stalling

Latest posts

Back