Using a tri-clamp to attach Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdelap

Reaction score
I currently have a PID controlled Direct fire system. I have been considering adding elements to each kettle to save money on propane. However I want to retain the ability to use the burners when electricity is not available and want to use as much of what I have with out buying new kettles to put elements in.

I have been throwing around the idea of welding tri-clamp fittings into the kettles and I can use a tri-clamp to 1"npt adapter on the element. If I didn't want to use the element it would be as simple as removing it and placing a cap it its place.

Has anyone tried this? is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks for the help!!

Why not just weld or solder the regular locknut to your kettle for the element and if you don't want to use it unthread the element and thread in a plug. Seems cheaper and easier than messing around with tri clover fittings.

More likely to leak, the ease of removing on the fly for cleaning etc. And you cant forget that it looks cool too.

And more sanitary than a threaded connection through the wall.

No reason it shouldn't work to pull the element and cap it off. One note I discovered is that the element adapter from Brewers' Hardware is not compatible with the rippled Camco elements.

+1 to the brewer's hardware adapter. Nice hardware, well designed, and incorporates a grounding lug. It's pricy but I feel safe using it and it's a super clean installation. And as it was mentioned earlier you have to use a straight element but I haven't found that to be an issue.

Latest posts

Back