Space heater for temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
Brewed a saison and fermenting it in an upstairs guest room closet. I have a portable space heater that oscillates and shuts off once desired temp is reached. It is digital and is kind of a set and forget it. Is this ok to use? Or should I be worried about fire hazard or high energy bills?

House is usually about 72 degrees. PS- ramping up the temp from 74 to 80 degrees over a weeks time

When it is colder out (or inside), I use a space heater inside a spare closet. I also have an indoor/outdoor thermometer to keep an eye on the temp. Elec bill is not too bad since it shuts off when temp is reached and the door stays closed.

You could also try putting it in a cooler with water and an aquarium heater to boost the temp. I use this in the winter because my basement gets into the low 50s. Most aquarium heaters that I have seen have 64 as the lowest setting, but for Belgians, you don't have to worry about being above where you would prefer to be. An aquarium heater is much safer than a space heater, when was the last time you saw a house fire in the news where they blamed it on aan aquarium heater?

You could also try putting it in a cooler with water and an aquarium heater to boost the temp. I use this in the winter because my basement gets into the low 50s. Most aquarium heaters that I have seen have 64 as the lowest setting, but for Belgians, you don't have to worry about being above where you would prefer to be. An aquarium heater is much safer than a space heater, when was the last time you saw a house fire in the news where they blamed it on aan aquarium heater?

+1 to this...I used this method in my basement this past winter and was pleased with how well it worked. Although it might take more electricity to heat the water+beer than with a space heater heating the beer alone, I think the temps were maintained much more consistently. Disclaimer: I've never tried a space heater.

I've used a space heater in the past, when my fermentation cabinet was outside in a carport. I just set the heater on top of the fermenter. If your heater is a ceramic type, there is little danger of fires. Power usage should be minimal in a small closet.

I used a Space heater and BE WARNED - it can double your electric bills!!

I used mine in a downstairs bathroom and it cost $30+ a month.

Brewed a saison and fermenting it in an upstairs guest room closet. I have a portable space heater that oscillates and shuts off once desired temp is reached. It is digital and is kind of a set and forget it. Is this ok to use? Or should I be worried about fire hazard or high energy bills?

House is usually about 72 degrees. PS- ramping up the temp from 74 to 80 degrees over a weeks time

I have a Saison in process now as well. I got it into the fermenter just as the heat wave ended of course. I also have it in an upstairs closet. When the temperature in the house dropped down to 72-75 I put a lamp w/ 60w bulb next to the fermenter and it's kept the air temp between 83-85 so far.

I used a Space heater and BE WARNED - it can double your electric bills!!

I used mine in a downstairs bathroom and it cost $30+ a month.

OUCH! a $60 electric bill??? that's just outrageous!

:D:D

I wish mine would drop below $180 - and I keep the house at about 76F in the summer...:eek:

Back