Better Bottles and Blow Off Tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
My 6 gallon Better Bottles arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to brewing with them next week. I just realized the blow off tubes I've been using with my glass carboys are too small in the mouth of the Better Bottles.

What are my options for blow off tubes? I did order two #10 stoppers for them. Is there tubing that big readily available, and what size would it be?

I use this one sold by Hearts Homebrew, made for Better-Bottles. It uses a #10 stopper that is drilled to accept a 5/8" ID length of tubing. If you have any worries that the 5/8" ID tubing isn't large enough to avoid a clog, see photo of the massive blowoff I had with a 1.090 Imperial Stout! It never came close to plugging up.

bbtlblowoflg.jpg

4295-DSC02202.jpg

If you have a 3-piece airlock, a piece of 3/8'' ID tubing should fit over the bottom piece, then put the airlock-tube assembly in the drilled stopper as usually. I used this for my hefeweizen explosion and it worked fine.

Beerrific said:
If you have a 3-piece airlock, a piece of 3/8'' ID tubing should fit over the bottom piece, then put the airlock-tube assembly in the drilled stopper as usually. I used this for my hefeweizen explosion and it worked fine.

That is exactly what I do.

Thanks for the replies (except Cheese!)

Rather than order anything else right now, I have some tubing and 3 piece airlocks and will go with using that I think. The other bonus is, if there is not blow off, you just remove the tube, fill with water, and off ya go!:mug:

Back