Barleywine/Pale Ale Parti-gyle first attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ply318ci

Reaction score
Ok so here it is. I have been brewing one gallon batches and running out of beer way to quick. But I don't have big enough pots to do a full boil of anything bigger. Then I discovered Parti-gyle, and though heck I can do that. So here is my story.

Start time: 8:07am
Finish time: 12:16pm
Recipe: A SMaSH barleywine of 4lbs of Crisp Organic English Pale Malt and .6oz New Zealand Nelson Sauvin hops. The Pale Ale I would add 2 oz of Crystal 60L and .4oz of the New Zealand Nelson Sauvin Hops.

Barleywine estimated OG of 1.122
Pale ale estimaed OG of 1.033-1.040
(I still don't have a hydrometer since I only brew one gallon and a hydro reading takes to much beer)

I had to split up the grains, 2lbs in one pot with 2 quarts of water, and 2lbs in another pot with 3 quarts of water. I am using the first running, about 4 qts total, to make the Barleywine and then going to sparge with 160-170 degree water and add the 2oz of Crystal for the second runnings and get 2 gallons of Pale Ale. I put the Crystal all in one pot with the used Crisp malt (after the first runnings where gathered) and then dumped 2 quarts of 160+ water on it and let it sit for 15-20 min before dumping it out for the second runnings. I then put 4 quarts of water in the other pot with the other half of the used grains and let it sit for 15-20 and dumped it out adding to my second runnings. Giving me about 6 qts for the second running I then added some water so that total boil off would not be to much and leave me close to 2 gallons..

Now with only three pots (a 4qt, a 5.5qt, and a 6qt) I had to get creative and use my Home Depot Paint bucket/primary fermentor as a short term storage, but it all worked out and I soon had one gallon of soon to be Barleywine, and 1.75 gallons of soon to be Pale Ale boiling along. I boild the Barleywine for 90min and the Pale Ale for 60. I love Nelson Sauvin Hops smell like heaven in a vacuum sealed bag. I did use sugar to up the alcohol and dry out the beer a little, I like mine dry as opposed to sweet. For the Barleywine I used Brown sugar which I hope will impart some molasses flavor as it ages, and just regular table sugar for the pale ale, 2oz each respectively, at the last 15 min of the boil, hoping for just a little bit of caramelization for added flavor and a little bit of a "Oh" factor. (Hopefully not the "Oh I am going to throw up." factor)

After the boil was done I chilled each pot in a sink full of ice water and then pitched my rehydrated yeast. I rehydrated S-04 in 80 degree water for about half an hour, 1 and a half packaged total split up into two 3/4 package sections with about a half cup of water each. I used one of the 3/4 of a package on the one gallon Barleywine, and 3/4 of a package for the 2 gallons of the Pale Ale. The reason for such strange amounts is I had some left over S-04 (half a package) from a brew I did a month ago, and so just combined that with a quarter of the package of new S-04, seemed logical to me, since a half package is normal for a one gallon batch and the Pale Ale is a low gravity beer I figured I could get away with the 3/4 package. (If you think I under pitched the 2 gallons I would appreciate any feedback, it is to late now but would be nice to know.)

I put the Barleywine in my one gallon jug I got from ordering the Brooklyn Brewshop Everday IPA kit (first brew), and the 2 gallons of Pale Ale in the Home Depot Paint Fermenter. I had to add about a quart of water to the one gallon Barleywine (filtered) and about 3/4 of a quart to the the Pale Ale, will this throw anything off since I didn't have enough room in my pot to boil enough to not have to add water?

The Barleywine is now bubbling away nicely and I am waiting for the Pale Ale, not to concerned since the paint bucket I have I am sure is not air tight and the hole I cut in the lid for the blow off hose was square and the hose being round all but guaranties air leakage. I will post again if anything cool happens. Since I am going on vacation next week these will sit in the primary for a little over 3 weeks each, about a week longer then I normally go. I will bottle when I get back and update this post. Thanks for all the help and information.

PS. In the last picture that is the Barleywine about 2 hours after pitching the yeast, it is bubbling along nicely but does that look normal? Thanks.

PPS I could really use some dry hops for this, if anybody has any hops (about a half ounce or so) they would go good with the Nelson Sauvin hops i have (for dry hopping) and wouldn't mind shipping them to me I can pay via PayPal, I don't want to spend 8 dollars shipping 2 dollars worth of Hops from a online brew shop, and the nearest LHBS is almost an hour away I don't want to spend 20 dollars in gas for 2 dollars worth of hops, just send me a PM. Thanks.

Update: My wife wanted a pedicure in San Jose and the LHBS is on the way in Santa Cruz (Seven Bridges Coop) so looks like I am getting my dry hops. Any suggestions, thinking of sticking with the New Zealand Nelson Sauvin but any suggestions are welcome. Cascade maybe or Amarillo, Simcoe if I can get it? Thanks.

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

All right at about 24 hours later the one gallon barleywine has settled and looks normal and bubbling away quite nicely. The two gallon bucket has a air leak just as I thought right where the round hose goes in the square hole so no real bubbles yet but I am pretty sure it is doing fine. I can't really see it but looks aren't everything right.

Alright one week later and I am dry hopping both my brews. In the one gallon Barleywine I am using .5oz of the New Zealand Nelson Sauvin, the same in the 2 gallons of the second runnings. So far looking good, I can't tell what the Pale Ale 2nd runnings are doing since it is a white bucket but here is a picture looking down into it, does that look normal? I only used 3/4 of a package of s-04 just wanting to make sure everything look normal and that I didn't under pitch, thanks.

IMG_0114.jpg

Back