The Beer Battery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ran across this and thought it was an interesting read

Australian brewers Fosters have developed a method of using beer to generate energy. This is called the ‘Beer Battery’ which is a microbial fuel cell (MFC). Sugar consuming bacteria generates the power from the brewers’ waste water. The organic matter is consumed and the starch, alcohol and sugar are then broken down. Electricity, clean water and carbon dioxide are then produced.
Alcohol + Starch + Sugar -> Electricity + Clean Water + Carbon Dioxide.
A beer battery prototype was created at the University of Queensland in Australia. This battery held 10 litres (2.6425 gallons) of water. The final version of the battery holds 660 gallons of water. It was created at the Fosters brewery in September and produces 2 kilowatts of power.
The process was originally designed as a waste water treatment. Prof. Jurg Keller of The University of Queensland, Australia said “Brewery waste water is a particularly good source because it is very biodegradable and is highly concentrated, which does help in improving the performance of the cell.”
The clean water that is produced in the process is important in Australia as the country has a lack of clean water. The beer battery is a renewable energy source which means that it will not run out

Homemade.jpeg

Wiki source:
Organic batteries - TheStudentWiki

Is vessel "C" supposed to be the "clean" water?

Thank goodness I don't drink Fosters cause, I don't think that is chill haze.

I think "C" stands for Crappy, and A is for... lol

One thing I think is funny, is that they use the "waste water". Do you have any waste water? Cause my only waste water is from my IC. and I use that to clean my MLT.

Back