No Body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acparr27

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin ale and it has been in the bottles for almost 4 weeks. I tried one at two weeks and it was bearable but not good. I tried one a few days ago and it has absolutely no body or mouth-feel. It smells and starts like a pumpkin and finishes with a hop taste but has nothing in the middle. I have good carbonation as well.

So my question is, will this beer "come together" and be a good beer? Maybe another month in bottles will do it good?

Thank you!

-Adam

aging a beer will not add any mouth feel unless it is not finished carbonating yet.

if you do extract brew, add malto-dextrin next time. if you do all grain beer, then mash at a higher temperature next time.

aging a beer will not add any mouth feel unless it is not finished carbonating yet.

My experience shows otherwise. A lot of times, usually even, green beer tastes thin, sour, and harsh. Aging will help things smooth out in a lot of cases. On the other hand, if there's a wild yeast infection, the beer can become progressively more watery and overcarbonated.

With 4 weeks of age in the bottles and it's still not good, it may not come around, but it's not impossible.

+1, maltodextrin is a great tool for upping body with no fuss.

If you dont like it sit on it and brew another then check them over time. I had my first pumpkin i did turn out awesome in 8 months. I thought it was perfumy at first as i kept it shure enough my last was the best.Close to the best one ive had out of about 10 commercial ones so far and it was only my 3rd brew that i put together with an a simple/adventurous ale recipe.
What was your recipe,and notes on mash temp,fermentation etc... Its always a good idea to note everything you do, so you learn for your next brews.
Pumpkin should get you good body itself but in general mash higher,more abv,maybe some flaked barley,and good amounts of carapils or some crystal malt should do it.A big part is your yeast too, i think.Mashing higher seems to give more sweetness but not necessarliy body sometimes.

Back