Suggestions for reuse of Belgian Wheat Wyeast 3942?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManyBrews

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made a Saison using 3942...midwest lawnmower saison kit. My first Belgian and second beer! I'd like to reuse the yeast but am unsure what recipe to use and what would work with this yeast. I'd like something different in taste from the Saison just for variety. I've been thinking about doing a brew with lots of honey, I have several 3# bags of light dme and cooper's sparkling and real ale prehopped cans, also close by lhbs. THANKS!!!!!!!!

The Saison recipe:

3.3 lb. Pilsen liquid malt extract, 3.3 lb. Wheat liquid malt extract, 1 lb. Clear Candi Sugar, 8 oz. Cara-20, 8 oz. Unmalted Wheat specialty grains, 1 oz. US Saaz and 2 oz. U.S. Goldings hops, 1/4 tsp. Grains of Paradise, 1 oz. bitter orange peel, 1/2 oz. whole coriander

I was thinking of this belgian wit "grand cru" beer. Would this taste much different than a saison and would my yeast work? There is also a version of this in joy of homebrew.

Grand Cru
6 lb. Extra Light Dried Malt Extract, 2.5 lb. Honey, 8 oz. Carapils specialty grains, 1 oz. Hallertau, 1 oz. Hallertau Select pellet hops, 1 oz. crushed Coriander

I tasted a Grand Cru at Michigan Brewing Company and it was awsome! It's on my to-do list. Not sure about a recipe, but I'll be checking this thread to see what others have to say!

did it taste like a wheat beer at all? that's not really what i'm going for.

the grand cru recipes i've seen only have light dme, no wheat, and a wit yeast.

i've read 3942 can be used for belgian pale etc., but didn't know if whatever i put it in will taste pretty much the same.

Back