Hop Variety Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabeb25

HE of who can not be spoken of.
Reaction score
So I lost my layout and of course forgot which plants are which...I planted one cascade, and one centennial . Can you guys help me figure out which is which?

I Think one of them is ready to pick also can you verify this?

Thanks

Here they are:

Plant One
IMG00027-20090808-1638.jpg

IMG00039-20090815-1244.jpg

Plant Two
IMG00028-20090808-1638.jpg

IMG00038-20090815-1244.jpg

I think the last plant is ready to harvest..you think so?

I would guess that picture #2 is Cascade. It has longer cones. I don't think it's ready to be harvested yet, but I would water it a little more and add some tomato fertilizer.

Cant tell which is which but the cascade cone can sometimes be longer and narrower. when the hop cone feels papery and has some browning and golden color to it, your getting close. You don't want it to smell of chlorophyll.

Plant 1 is cascade and plant 2 is centennial.I have the same 2 verities in my garden and yours look the same as mine.Hope this helps.:mug:

My vote will be to say that plant #1 is cascade and #2 is cent.. I have the cascade and the leaves on plant 2 don't quite match what I have for mine.

Yes cascade hops on average produce a longer cone but the plant will also produce smaller cones so it is hard to tell from the pic looking at just the cone I think.

Use the cone, cone petals and the leaves for visual identification. But taste is also a good way to figure it out - making a tea etc.

Google for yakimachief and look at their pdf for more info also.

Cheers!

Back