Bavarian Wheat VS White Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
I am currently using the TastyBrew.com recipe calculator on my brews because Beer Alchemy has been annoying me with its lack of ingredients in the database. Anyway, Im making a recipe with White Wheat, but its not listed under its ingredients. Is White Wheat the same as Bavarian Wheat? (Bavarian Wheat IS listed)

Thanks

I don't think they are exactly the same. Bavarian wheat is slightly darker. White wheat is sometimes just called American wheat. I have a feeling that the extract potential is the same and there would be little change to the color.

BTW, Beer Alchemy has white wheat.:p And you can add stuff too.

I don't think they are exactly the same. Bavarian wheat is slightly darker. White wheat is sometimes just called American wheat. I have a feeling that the extract potential is the same and there would be little change to the color.

BTW, Beer Alchemy has white wheat.:p And you can add stuff too.

Yeah I know it prob. would by NOW, but I have the unlicenced version, I have for about 6-7 months now haha. But I cant get updates.....

If you look under Belgian and French Ale you'll find "witbier." This is your classic Belgian White - think Hoegaarden. I think Bavarian Wheat is their designation for Hefewiezen.

Hi,
White wheat is actually a different wheat - and it provides a slightly malty flavor to the beer and has higher protein content. The color differences are small (< 0.5 SRM). Both are malted.

Belgian Wit is typically made from unmalted wheat (torrified or flaked wheats are easiest for the homebrewer to use) as opposed to white wheat malt or regular wheat malt.

White wheat can be used in Weisse, and is appropriate for Bavarian weisse due to its malty profile.

Cheers,
Brad

Latest posts

Back