3 gallon BIAB Sam Adams Boston lager recipe clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good BIAB SAMs Adams Boston lager 3 gallon or less recipet? It would be my first lager try so I would like to not do a full 5 gallon batch. Also would need specific mash temps and fermentation trmps and diacetyl rest instructions.

Boston Lager is a good beer, flavorful and well-made. Good luck with your brew day! I've moved this from the recipe database (which is a place for tried-and-true recipes) to the BIAB forum. Hopefully you'll get some responses.

There's an all-grain recipe here in the recipe forums but decoction might be more effort then you want to do.

If I was going to do it, I'd probably be lazy and do a single infusion mash. Looks like the recipe should finish dry so you'd want something around 148-149 for the mash temp.

You could add some Melanoiden Malt to get a bit of the Decoction flavor. With that added and the recipe scaled down for 3 gallons and assuming you get around 70% efficiency this should do it:

4lbs 8oz American 2-Row
4oz Melanoiden Malt
4oz Crystal 60
.5oz Tettnanger 60 minute addition
.5oz Hallertau 20 minute addition
.5oz Hallertau 10 minute addition
.5oz Hallertau in Secondary

Wyeast 2035 American Lager

Krausening is also used in the linked recipe but you could just bottle and prime as normal rather than deal with that as well.

I agree with Pappers, skip the triple decoction and go with the melanoidin malt.
The Sam Adams Lager always seems somewhat bland to me, but I'm thinking a fresh homebrew version might be much better. I'm also
thinking of trying it with SF lager yeast and bumping up the Hallertau dry hop a little; But then it won't be a clone.....

It may not be "cool" anymore, but truly fresh SABL on draft is a great beer. Unfortunately, more often than not it's kind of stale.

Back