Why is my element base rusting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
And what can be done about it? It's in my hlt, and has only ever had water in it. It is drained and wiped clean after every use.

2011-06-22_18-13-50_589.jpg

Some people have put sacrificial anodes, aluminum or magnesium/zinc (not sure which is best) in the kettle to prevent the rusting, just like in a water heater. For my RIMS I coated it with Silicone. Haven't had the issue yet with my BK, but now I am going to check it closely.

Your not worried about rust in your brewing water? I kinda am.:eek:_
Not at all. A little extra iron never hurt anyone ;)

The way I look at it is all of the loose rust is cleaned off before I fill the HLT with 15+ gallons of water. The amount of iron actually dissolved into the water will be negligible.

It hasn't affected the flavor of my brews as far as I can tell, either. I've done everything from a 2SRM ginger ale to an Imperial Porter on this system.

YMMV, of course :)

-Joe

The boil kettle element base is black, it appears to be clean, but definitely black. Better than rusty imo. I may have to boil a batch in the hlt.:drunk:

_

Back