How long does it take for a rhyzome to break ground?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
I got one each of Willamette and Cascade rhyzomes from freshops.com and have had them in the ground for about two weeks now. I mixed in manure, topsoil, and some of the Miracle Grow sprinkle feed granules. I mounded the dirt up and planted the roots in the hills and mulched around them. My trelis is built around the hills. The soil is draining good, I water a little bit when it isn't raining and keep them moist but not in standing water. I dug down a little and looked at the top of the Willamette and it had a bunch of little white shoots coming out all around what I could see of the top of the rhyzome. Seems like it is going ok making roots out but no bines have come out of the ground yet. How long does this normally take for rhyzomes put directly into the ground?

Those white shoots are most likely bines beginning to form. Sound like you're doing everything right. Now leave them alone and let them do their thing. ;)

How long it takes for bines to break gound depends on how mature your rhizomes were when planted and how deep you planted. I planted a bit deep, but I had some with bines beginning to form when I planted that broke ground inside of a week. Another took (I'm guessing) almost 5 weeks to break ground.

Chris

I planted the same thing this year for the first time. It took 2 or 3 weeks for the Willamette to sprout and about 2 more for the Cascade. Planted them in March they are both going strong now.:ban:

it also depends on the ground temps in your area. they like temps above 45 before they'll start really growing. we had hops here in michigan breaking through right after the ground thawed but they really didn't grow any till the weather warmed up nicely.

My rhizomes came from the same place. It took a LOOOONG time for them to break ground. They were planted near a downspout that had become disconnected and were in really wet ground for a while. They are doing fine now.

I am pretty sure I have one coming out of the ground now. I got three sad looking Cascade trimmings with this order and just one big nice Willamette. It seems the saddest of the Cascade has broken ground this evening. I assumed they sent me three Cascade cuttings with my order for just one because they were not good looking, but I guess they were the healthiest. I have just a bit of green above the surface but they are bines poking out, not normal weed crap.

My cascade hops took 2-3 weeks. Part of the problem was they shot out laterally for a while and than came up. So they were growing but were growing sideways.

This looks like about three bine shoots coming right up out of where I planted one rhyzome. I spotted another plant about two feet down the fenceline from my little hop plot and investigated it, turned out to be a tomato but I thought the hops might have done like you said and went out horizontally. Alas, no, just another volunteer tomato.

The Willamette broke ground two days ago. It came up about 4 inches away from where I put the rhyzome, wasn't really looking for it to come up there but I moved some of the mulch around and there it was. Seems like I am off so a good start now.

Back