I think I might try one tonight.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyderturbo

Reaction score
I bottled my Weizenbeir (kit) about 8 or 9 days ago and think I might go ahead and chill one down and see how it tastes. I'm expecting that it will probably be bad based on the tasting I've done durning the process and the number of mistakes I made, but what the hell. :D

I'll let you guys know how it works out tomorrow.............Wish me luck with my 1st homebrew!!!!!!!!

:mug:

If it doesn't taste as good as you hoped, don't throw it out. I tried my first batch after 9 days, and it tasted pretty bad. After 14 days, it tasted better, and after 17 days it tastes fairly decent. Still not exceptional (pre-hopped kit beer) but it's drinkable. Hopefully after another week it will actually be good.

Thanks, me too. This will be my first homebrew ever. :ban: But, even if this batch is bad, as I'm guessing it will be, I still have some others going that will be done in a couple of weeks.

Amazing......I've never even had a homebrew and I'm loving being able to make my own beer. So much, that I have 3 batches in different stages right now and I'll be going to pick up the supplies for my 4th on Wednesday.

gruntingfrog said:
If it doesn't taste as good as you hoped, don't throw it out. I tried my first batch after 9 days, and it tasted pretty bad. After 14 days, it tasted better, and after 17 days it tastes fairly decent. Still not exceptional (pre-hopped kit beer) but it's drinkable. Hopefully after another week it will actually be good.

Thanks for the advise. I know that I made a bunch of mistakes and thought that I would try it before I bottled. I had posted in another thread that I thought it almost tasted like vinegar. My wife said that it tasted like flat beer that had sit out for about a week and my sister started gagging. :eek:

I guess I'll know in a couple of hours. If it does taste bad, I'll give it a couple more weeks.

Thanks again for everyone's support on this forum. It would have taken me a lot more time to realize that I had made so many mistakes if it wasn't for this forum.

Well, I'm happy to report that it doesn't taste like vinegar. :ban:

I chilled one down last night for a couple of hours and it tasted decent. Initially the taste is of strong wheat, followed by a slight caramel flavor. I suspect the caramel flavor is a result of not pulling the brewpot from the heat when I added the LME. I ended up with a good bit of black spots on the bottom of the brewpot.

Anyway, the finish is a little.....well, I want to say bitter. Actually, almost a little acidic. Is that from the hops? I wouldn't assume so, with it being a wheat beer. It's also pretty dark for a wheat beer, but as long as it tastes good, I don't mind.

I did notice some "stuff" on the bottom of the bottle. There were a bunch of flakes that had settled out on the bottom. It looked like those chunks you get in your beer when you haven't cleaned your tap system in awhile. Is there anyway to stop that from occuring in subsequent batches?

The only thing I was dissapointed with, was the level of carbonation. I checked my notes, and the beer was bottled on the 17th of this month. I guess I'll give it another couple of days and try another one.

Thanks to everyone for their help!!! :mug:

Sounds great.

hey I just noticed you are right down the road from me. Could we get together some time? I'd like to checkout your setup. I'm also just getting into this. Did you get your supplies from Scotzin's?

I tried my first bottle conditioned IPA this weekend, not homebrew but Bells' it is really good and surprising. I have to admit I was not expecting all the flavor and at first it took my by surprise.

As far as I know bottle conditioning is what causes the junk at the bottom of the bottle. This is why you drink from a glass and try to not disturb it during the pour.

Great job.

Todd

Spyderturbo said:
Well, I'm happy to report that it doesn't taste like vinegar. :ban:

I chilled one down last night for a couple of hours and it tasted decent. Initially the taste is of strong wheat, followed by a slight caramel flavor. I suspect the caramel flavor is a result of not pulling the brewpot from the heat when I added the LME. I ended up with a good bit of black spots on the bottom of the brewpot.

Anyway, the finish is a little.....well, I want to say bitter. Actually, almost a little acidic. Is that from the hops? I wouldn't assume so, with it being a wheat beer. It's also pretty dark for a wheat beer, but as long as it tastes good, I don't mind.

I did notice some "stuff" on the bottom of the bottle. There were a bunch of flakes that had settled out on the bottom. It looked like those chunks you get in your beer when you haven't cleaned your tap system in awhile. Is there anyway to stop that from occuring in subsequent batches?

The only thing I was dissapointed with, was the level of carbonation. I checked my notes, and the beer was bottled on the 17th of this month. I guess I'll give it another couple of days and try another one.

Thanks to everyone for their help!!! :mug:

Todd said:
Sounds great.

hey I just noticed you are right down the road from me. Could we get together some time? I'd like to checkout your setup. I'm also just getting into this. Did you get your supplies from Scotzin's?

I tried my first bottle conditioned IPA this weekend, not homebrew but Bells' it is really good and surprising. I have to admit I was not expecting all the flavor and at first it took my by surprise.

As far as I know bottle conditioning is what causes the junk at the bottom of the bottle. This is why you drink from a glass and try to not disturb it during the pour.

Great job.

Todd

Yep, I got everything at Scotzin Brothers in Lemoyne. Sucks that they are only open 2 days a week. I wanted to bottle my Franziskaner clone tonight, but I need caps. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Anyway, we can get together sometime for a drink or something. I'm up for that. As for my setup, I just picked up the kit that they sell for $75. I also got a couple of other things that wern't in the kit to make my life easier, but the kit had everything that I needed to get started.

I do need to get a bottle tree and one of those bottle washer things. :D

Back