brewhouse efficiency check please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogtailale

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a 5gl batch of EdWorts Bee cave Octoberfest. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/bee-cave-brewery-oktoberfest-ale-38880/

I took my time, 3 tier gravity, rubbermaid cooler, LHBS grind. fly sparge (spinning arm) strike water 169 mashed at 154, sparge water 185. spent grain temp was 168

I got a preboil reading of 1.062 at 60 degrees of 7.5 gallons. OG cane out at 1.76 at 60 degrees 4.7/8 gallons. I used leaf hops so there was still a fair amount of wort in the keggle 16oz possibly.

(((((( I made A mistake there is 1GL 16oz left in the keggle with leafs))))))))))

Nothing was changed on the grain bill 14lbs on their scale.

please check my math, I came up with _ _% well lets put it this way my math must be off.

Thank You

By my calculations, you're at around 75%.

You're off from the recipe because it looks like you used too much water. If you started with 7.5gallons and ended up with 4.7 after an hour boil, then you boiled off almost 3 gallons.

OOOPs I made a big mistake. I relooked at my waste when you wrote down 3 gallons.

it should read 1gl 16oz

So, are you saying there was an additional 1 gallon and 16 ounces on top of the 4.7 gallons you had in the fermentor? If so, you got around 93% efficiency. That's pretty high, but I've also noticed really good efficiencies when using mostly vienna and munich in a beer.

So, are you saying there was an additional 1 gallon and 16 ounces on top of the 4.7 gallons you had in the fermentor? If so, you got around 93% efficiency. That's pretty high, but I've also noticed really good efficiencies when using mostly vienna and munich in a beer.

Yes in basic reality there was 6gls of postboil wort.

93% is the same I came up with thank you for double checking for me.

last weekend I brewed the same beer Although I tried to do a 2 tier system. Pump from the HLT to the MLT in a spinning fly sparge and gravity into the boil keg.
Well the pump would cavitat on me so I gave up and drained the MLT and did a batch sparge .
In that fiasco I lost some sparge water, turned out to be a 1/2gl ended up with 7gls in the keggle with a preboil of 1.054 and 6gls of wort with a OG of 1.068

Latest posts

Back