Ground Star Anise, how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello,

I am just waiting for a reply to one question before I am ready to brew, hoping for a quick answer :)

I am looking to brew a tripel, and have some ground star anise. I am wondering how much (grams or oz) to add to a 5 gal batch in order to give it a subtle flavour?

And add it in the boil? My BeerSmith suggests 30 min boil, but this sounds a bit long, dont you think?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Marius

When I've seen it used, it's been in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Usually about half an ounce. Sorry I didn't see the post earlier.

I'd say 1/4 teaspoon at knockout. Mosher's Radical Brewing recipes all seem to suggest one whole star or 1/4 tsp per batch (presumably accounting for the fact that ground will add more flavor as well). I should add that he usually adds it in conjunction w/ other spices.

When I added star anise to my dubbel, I tossed in one star at knockout. I haven't sampled it yet. A tripel might lend itself to less anise flavor than a dubbel, though.

EDIT: well, 1/2 ounce is a lot more than 1/4 tsp, so maybe I'm wrong.

Hello,

One says 1/2 ounce (15mins), someone else says 1/4th at knockout.

Anyone ready to take either side? Hehe :)

Thanks,
Marius

I will tell you that with my experience any more than one star anise seed is plenty. If this equals to 1/4 teaspoon I would go with that and add to end of boil 10 to 15 min. no longer (this stuff is very potent). any more and you will get a very strong black licorice taste.

What is that?

Thanks,
Marius

Sam is the head brewer and owner of Dogfish Head brewery. "Extreme Brewing" is one of his books. It's a nice book if you do extract brewing, or if you're interested in adding out of the ordinary ingredients to your beers.

Back