15 minute IPA recipe - worried about bittering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolcats

Reaction score
Hi :tank:

I'm planning on brewing a 15 minute boil no sparge 1 gallon IPA tomorrow. This is something i have never done.

I'm concerned of the hops schedule and over/under bittering. Please let me know what you think of the below schedule.

0.2 oz Mosaic @ 15 min
0.2 oz Simcoe @ 15 min

0.2 oz Mosaic @ 10 min
0.2 oz Simcoe @ 10 min

0.2 oz Mosaic @ 5 min
0.2 oz Simcoe @ 5 min
0.1 oz Citra @ 5 min

0.4 oz Mosaic @ 0 min
0.4 oz Simcoe @ 0 min
0.2 oz Citra @ 0 min

Using a IBU calculator that schedule would be 97 IBU, but I doubt that is accurate for a 1 gallon batch 15 minute boil. Will this be overly bitter for a 1 gallon batch? :drunk:

Thanks

I doubt it would be that bitter, btu I would recommend swtiching up the timing a bit if you are worried. I design my IPAs for maximum hop character while getting very little bitterness. To do this (for a tradtiional 60min boil / 5 gal) I do 1oz bittering at 60min, another oz for some flavor at 10min, and then dump the majority of my hops into a whirlpool/hopstand for a while before chilling. This is actualyl where I get all my flavor, most of my aroma, and probably about half my bitterness

So if you are worried about too bitter and want to maintain flavor, Id increase the 15min a bit, and move the rest right to 0min and do a hopstand. Youll get a pungent juicy hop character and very little bitterness

Thanks for the advice, i'll cut the 10 minute and increase the 15. :ban:

In terms of bitterness, will 0.1 oz for 60 minutes = 0.4 oz for 15? Or is it more complex

its more complex than that. there are some rough estimations floating around. but the extraction of the hop compounds also depends on your volume so you cant directly scale down to 1 gal. Thats why I'd do the big hopstand because you really cant overdue post boil additions. My last couple IPAs have had more than 12oz go in after flameout and are less bitter than most commercial pale ales

They do if you don't chill immediately. Bitterness is extracted from the hop oils at temperatures over (someone will correct me I'm sure) somewhere around 160/170/180F. That extraction decreases with temperature below boiling, but it's there. As for calculating it, I've tried digging down that rabbit hole and there's no real accepted way for doing it, but the results from whirlpooling are purported to be excellent.

Last edited:
typical flameout additions wont since you cool it once its added. With hopstanding, it sits at right below boiling temps and slowly cools naturally unitl you decide to turn on the chiller. You do get a bit of bitterness during the process, mostly just aroma and flavor. Theres debates on how to approximate the IBUs from hopstand additions. I just know from experience that its very little but its definitely there

Hi :tank:

I'm planning on brewing a 15 minute boil no sparge 1 gallon IPA tomorrow. This is something i have never done.

For all grain you will want a normal boil length (60 minutes) but only hop in the last 15 minutes like you have planned.

I think the point of his/her recipe was to only do a 15min boil to save time. I think its a novel idea and should work. Wont get as much maillard reactions in the boil, but doesnt matter too much for something like an IPA where you want to suppress the malt character

I think the point of his/her recipe was to only do a 15min boil to save time. I think its a novel idea and should work. Wont get as much maillard reactions in the boil, but doesnt matter too much for something like an IPA where you want to suppress the malt character

wouldn't dms be a real concern?

I've never heard of such a short boil but I'm sure you could do it. I don't think it would matter if you tried to use the equivalent AAU's from a 60 minute boil, the finished beer will definitely be different from a 60 minute boil, but that doesn't mean it won't be good.

Back