Scotish Partygile.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
I want to do a Strong Scotch Ale/60 Schilling partygile.

My rough starting point is as follows:

20lb MO
2 lb Cara Pils (split, 1 lb in each mash)
1 lb caramel 120L
8 oz Caramel 60L
1 lb Aromatic
12 oz Biscuit
6 oz Peat Smoked Malt

for an 11gal batch my grav comes to 1.059, so i'd get a 1/2 1/2 split of about 1.080 and 1.040, which will match each style well.

My color will be a little light on the 60 Schilling , i was thinking of adding some more Crystal xxL to the second mash to darken it up some along with the Cara Pils. I'm going to hop it with some variety of Fuggle/Willamette/Perle...haven't decided yet.

My real question is how to figure the quantities of aromatic, biscut, and especially peated malt. I've read the peated can really take over and i've never used it or biscut, and only used aromatic in kits. Am i missing anything for the style?

My plan is to brew this around the beginning of March.

Thanks

We used peat for 1.3% (1/4 lb in 10 gallon batch) and it was prominent. A bit over the top at first but settled nicely. When it was entered in a competition as a wee heavy they said it should have been in the smoked beer category, so even as little as 1.3% shows.

Don't use peated malt, real scotch ale doesn't use it. The smoky character comes from the yeast strain. I've had good results using beechwood smoked rauch malt at levels of 1/4 lb in 5 gallons.

+1 on nixing the peat malt.

Also, to increase color on the 60/- you could take about a gallon of it and boil it down to 2 pints or so to get some good kettle carmelization in there.

Back