no airlock activity in white grape joice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
ok, I know this is probably not a cool thing to do, but knowing nothing about wine, I decided to try a couple of batches and run them similar to my apfelwien. What can go wrong? right
Well, the "red" or concord grape and red star red wine yeast is chugging along nicely at 44 hours, and the "white grape" has done almost nothing. it bubbled a few times, and that's it. I tested the gravity just now, and it may have dropped from 1.063 to 1.062 or so, and there were a couple of bubbles in the must.
I did not add any sugar to either batch, and I noticed that there was some potassium something or another in the white, as I was dumping the last of 8 half gallons into the bucket. At this point, I should have done something, but I had already added the champagne yeast, so here we are.
Should I try again? or settle it out, keg it and have sparkling grape juice and a 20 dollar lesson?
thanks,
Norm

Was that "potassium something or another" potassium sorbate? If so, that's why your yeast isn't working. Potassium sorbate inhibits yeast activity.

TL

should be playing in the background, it's a post Thanksgiving miracle!
I blew the half gallon of homebrew/green apple jollyrancher in keg 4 into a growler preparing to fill it with my dead white wine, and as I bent over to pick up the brew bucket, ta da!! a tiny bubble, then another. She's kicking one out every ten seconds or so!!
Saved by not having time to dump it last night.
Just goes to show, don't judge too soon!

njnear76 said:
Yeah. What was the potassium ingredient?
Mike
I don't know, I tossed the bottles, and Monday was trash day...
will look next time I am at Wally world, for sure!

Back