Harp Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
I'm sitting here drinking a Harp and I'm wondering what kind of hops gives this beer its distinctive aroma?

I have about 2 Lbs of hops in my freezer in the basement that I'm holding for a friend that grows about 6 different variety's. I've smelled all of the ones I have on hand and they all seem to smell very similar.

I'm a big fan of Harp. Its the style of beer I'd love to be able to make. This stuff smells like nothing else I've had before.

Most recipes suggest Hallertau Mittelfrau or Hersbrucker and Saaz.

And many recipes overlook that Harp Lager is 18% flake maize. The rest is pale malt or a mix of 95% pilsner and 5% Caramel 10.

(Yes, I am reviving a dead thread - because the title says Harp Lager, but it then has very little useful info. (You're welcome)).

Last edited:
I don't get diacetyl from it. If you (@wepeeler) drank it on draft, maybe it's the barkeeper's fault, not the beer.

My guess is they use Hallertau or Tettnang. Hops might not be Irish, but the beer is yummy.

Ha, I just drank my first one in 20 years and really liked it. That's why I was looking up the recipe. But I also suspect diacetyl bothers me a lot less than most people. So you may be entirely correct.

I don't get diacetyl from it. If you (@wepeeler) drank it on draft, maybe it's the barkeeper's fault, not the beer.

My guess is they use Hallertau or Tettnang. Hops might not be Irish, but the beer is yummy.
I bought a 12 pack about a year ago, after not having it for like 20 years. Every bottle was terrible. I used to love it!

Back