Stainless Brewpot as Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
I just got a PolarWare 42qt brewpot with a false bottom, and was wondering how this will work as a mash tun. How will I keep the mash at a constant temperature? Will I have to turn the burner on and off throughout the course of the mash? Is a converted cooler still a better option?

the pot will work and yes you would have to add heat to it. What kind of mashing are you doing? Happy new year

I just got a PolarWare 42qt brewpot with a false bottom, and was wondering how this will work as a mash tun. How will I keep the mash at a constant temperature? Will I have to turn the burner on and off throughout the course of the mash? Is a converted cooler still a better option?

You could do a direct fired mash, in which you have to regulate the mash temperature by modulating the burner manually or consider a HERMS or RIMS that will automate the process. Here is a little diddy I wrote up on a RIMS: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/

Pretty much single infusion mash, maybe decoction if possible. How stable is the heat when no heat source is on? Will the pot lose very much heat over time? Happy new year to you, too!

Wow! Great thread about RIMS, but as a real novice, that seems waaay too complex for me. Is that REALLY the easiest way? Damn! Thanks very much. I will have to read up more on this technique.

Pretty much single infusion mash, maybe decoction if possible. How stable is the heat when no heat source is on? Will the pot lose very much heat over time? Happy new year to you, too!

Try heating up water to 160 degrees and then check the temp drop every 10 minutes. this will give you an idea of your temp drop. you could also heat the tun up and the place a towel or two over it to help the temp loss. I use a fryer pot for my tun and i cover it with three towels and it losses about 5 degrees every 20 minutes.:mug:

Back