No airlock for my gallon jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subtlephilo

Reaction score
I tried my hand at making some hard cider tonight in a one gallon jug. I used apple juice, 1 lb corn sugar, and various spices and pasteruized it at 180 for about 20 minutes. When I went to put my airlock on, I found out that the bung I had been told to buy at my LHBS was too big. I just put the sanitized cap on loosely to let gas out and put it in my closet. Unfortunately, because of my schedule, I won't be able to make it to the LHBS for quite a few days, maybe a week. How worried should I be about infection?

10-4 on what Mordantly said. I just bottled a cyser that I brewed with the "cap method" in the same bottle the juice came in, sat there for a month before I got around to bottling it, (it was a side project. ) No issues!

I would not put the cap on tight until it has fermented out completely, or you have cold crashed it. If the krausen drops, it could still be fermenting and if this is a glass jug, it could get ugly.

Also, aluminum foil works good to, if for some reason the fermentation gets going very vigorous, the foil will allow pressure to drop accordingly.

I have used cling wrap and rubber band with a pin hole but a ballon/glove seems like a good idea.

Hmmm! my brew is waving to me :)

Funny no one mentioned a condom(non lubed) with a pin hole in it... Maybe that hits too close to home for some???LMAO:p

A book I have recommends 2 days without a cap, then 2 days with cotton wool before adding an air lock. Not sure abou this advice but the author seems to be a proper crusty type :cross:

There is a bit of trueth to that. Initially yeast needs oxygen then less and less. I never use a airlock but my fermenter can handle 50 litres whereas I only brew 24. A good head of C02.

Back