In the boil or flame out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex60

Reaction score
I've read several posts / recipes where the sorghum and/or honey is being added at flame out verses boil. Being relatively new to creating my own recipes I wanted to know what it would do for my end results?

Honey should be added at flameout to preserve the delicate aromatics of it, and because heating damages some of its beneficial compounds (assuming you're using raw honey; if it's been pasteurized or heat-processed, dump it in whenever because it's already dead). Sorghum...I've heard from people here that it's to prevent excessive maillard reactions (which are how heat causes proteins to turn brown), and that it possibly lessens the "twang". I'm not sure if anyone's rigorously investigated this.

2nd on the honey after flameout. In fact, I wait until my mash has cooled considerably prior to adding. With meads, I use ZERO heat and simply stir. As stated above, that is with raw honey, not pasteurized.

I've read several posts / recipes where the sorghum and/or honey is being added at flame out verses boil. Being relatively new to creating my own recipes I wanted to know what it would do for my end results?

I have heard that with sorghum adding it all at the start can make the beer more "twangy/sorghumy". Original recipe I had for it said half at the start, half at the end.

Willing to try anything to reduce that sorghum flavour. And as others have said honey always at flameout.

Interesting - I'll have to try a late addition for the sorghum. This weekend I brewed using a combination of rice syrup and sorghum to see how that affects the twang. Next time, I'll move half the sorghum to the last 5 or 10 minutes and see how that affects it.

Back