Yeast Issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
Okay, I brewed my second all grain kit on Saturday. Everything went great. I was done in a reasonable time, everything remained clean and on point. Except:
I forgot to "smack the pack". By the time I remebered, the wort was already aboil. I stalled as long as I thought I could without compromising sanitation (hour and ahalf). The Activator pack had begun to swell but was still a long way from ready. I pitched it in its not quite ready state. It's now Tuesday and the lid isn't even showing signs of gas building up. No bubbles, no pressure. I feel like I'm watching my baby struggle and am helpless to do anything.
Should I repitch, sit on my hands, or a little of both.

Midwest supplies Exelciser Altbier is what we are cookin'.
I don't have the specific OG but it was right on target.

Advise?

let it go. if its high sg, fermenting at low temps, and you didnt get a starter much less get the activator ready, you might have a rediculous lag time. give a couple more days, then if nothing, check your gravity, verify no fermentation has started, and repitch.

You will be completely fine. The smack pack is designed to release nutrients into the yeast solution to get them fired up and ready to go. Even though they didn't have very long at the beginning before being pitched, as long as you saw the pack swell slightly it means you have a good smack pack full of yeast.

As all the guys say here, don't judge fermentation strictly by the amount of activity in the airlock. I would simply take a gravity reading whenever you have a second. As long as the SG is lower than the OG, you can be assured that fermentation is happening. If you see no change in the SG of the wort, re-pitch as soon as possible. I know they say it could take 24-48 hours, but you're going on 3-4 days now. Chances are, your beer is progressing just fine and there will be no need to re-pitch. Good luck!

As I am a true believer now. The Sg was 1.046. I took a sample this evening. It was 1.012. Clearly something has been going on. Thanks for the help!!!!

Back