Grain mill motor in canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
I'm looking to motorized my grain mill and have no idea what kind of motor I need or where to find it in canada, I font wanna spend a fortune on it, I'd rather use the money for grains, hops, and yeast. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I'd rather not have to rig up pulleys, I'm looking for a more compact setup if possible.

You should be able to find a suitable electric drill for a third of that price. A drill is what I use on my Corona style mill. $30USD.

Just keep an eye on Craigslist. Look for 1/4 hp electric motor. Something cheap will turn up eventually.

I find Craigslist in Canada pathetic. The only good deals it shows are transborder! Kijiji is not much better for motors. The OP "would rather not have to rig up pulleys, I'm looking for a more compact setup if possible."

I also am on a budget for my brewing and looked long and hard at it. The best solution for me (and him in my opinion) is a good 1/2" variable speed corded drill - no worries about power or the battery running low. A heavy duty drill will last longer. Crappy Tire offers a 3/8" drill that will do the job for CDN$59.99, but how long will it last? Sears has one on clearance right now for CDN$57.95, but quite frankly, I'd rather deal with Princess for any warranty issues. Mine has done a brew a week for over 2 years and I don't ever expect to replace it. Buy once, move on and brew. The bonus for me was disconnecting the drill from my mill a couple of times when I needed something a little heavier for another job.

The drill I referenced is currently on sale for CDN$69.99, up a bit from when I bought it, but still a good deal.

Have any Canadians found a suitable motor? I like the idea of being able to walk away and not rely on the drill

Pull trigger,set speed, push little button in handle and walk away! Bonus if it's dedicated, next time just pull trigger, push button, walk away.

Pull trigger,set speed, push little button in handle and walk away! Bonus if it's dedicated, next time just pull trigger, push button, walk away.

That's a great fix for the time being. My drill isn't high torque though so it needs to spin pretty fast to grind. It will work for now though

Back