Is this crazy to do for a newbie, especially as a first all grain attempt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
Want to do a clone of Rogues chocolate stout. I have a 5 gallon all grain setup I put together, I will post the pic below. My question is, does this seem possible, or am I being overly ambitious here? This is the recipe:

5 U.S. gallons (19 liters)
O.G. 1.060 (15 P)
IBU: 69

11.0 lb. Great Western 2-row pale malt
.5 lb. 120L Crystal Malt
.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
.5 lb. Rolled Oats
3.0 oz. Roast Barley
1.5 oz. Chocolate extract (in secondary)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (90 mins)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (30 mins)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (knockout)
1.0 tsp. Irish moss (20 mins)

Wyeast 1764 Pacman Ale Yeast

Mash at 150*F for 60 mins. Sparge at 175*F to collect 6.5 gallons of pre-boiled wort. Boil 90 minutes. Coll to 60*F and pitch yeast. Ferment at 60*F for one week. Siphon into secondary at 50-55*F onto chocolate extract and hold until fermentation is complete, then package and condition.

Here is my all grain set up, ready to be used for the first time. I appreciate any feedback, thanks guys. P.S. That kettle is just there to test my sparge arm, not m actual brewing kettle.

image-25595289.jpg

How big is that BK? It doesnt look very big for a 6.5 gal boil. You would want at least a 9 gallon kettle to be comfortable. Maybe it is just the perspective in the photo?

Jdm5209 said:
How big is that BK? It doesnt look very big for a 6.5 gal boil. You would want at least a 9 gallon kettle to be comfortable. Maybe it is just the perspective in the photo?
That was just there to test my sparge arm. I'm getting a 10 gallon bk soon.

Seems fine to me. The only "weird" thing about this beer is the chocolate. You might want to research chocolate additions and the different methods. BrewingTV recently did a stout episode for St. Patrick's day that touches on when and what type of chocolate to use:

[ame]http://youtu.be/7ADJoeKFMqk?t=8m45s[/ame]

Yeah, It does look a little small. When I went AG I had to do my final boil in 2 pots on the stove.

I think it's fine to try that. The only difference between that and any other "standard" all grain brew is the chocolate. Go for it!

Sounds fine to me. I love the use of your toaster.

Looks like you are all set and ready for a fun brew day. As a recent first-time AG brewer, my advice is just be sure to calc and hit your strike water temp/volume so you hit your mash temp. I missed mine on the low side first time out.

Ya, you're fine. The mash is the only difference, and honestly, there's no difference between mashing this grainbill and one with just 2-row.

If you're experienced with the extract process (hop additions, yeast starters, sanitation, fermentation temp control), then there is nothing advanced here with the exception of the mash process, which you would do for any AG batch, anyway. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. Oh, and be careful with your temps, but don't stress too hard. It will be beer. A good calculator can be found here.

Your an animal! Go for it! Lol you have to do some kind of beer as your first, that one is no more difficult than most other beers.
Let us know how it works out.

Thanks guys, just tring to get all my ducks in a row. It will only be my 3rd batch ever so I am nervous. I will update when the time comes.

Best of luck to you! I just did my first AG on Sunday. Keep some ice and boiling water on hand in case you over or under shoot your mash temps. I lost more heat than I expected in the mash and .5gal of boiling water helped bring it in check.

Latest posts

Back