True GDM-10 Fermenting Chamber Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raouliii

Reaction score
I managed to acquire a working unit and plan to convert it to a fermenting chamber. It will be used in my unheated/un-air conditioned garage in south Louisiana. Garage ambient temperatures swing from upper 90s during the summer to lower 30s in the winter. I've had a GDM-12 running all summer with 3 cornys with no problems.

I have an STC1000 temperature controller on the way from china. Cooling will be just a little rewiring to remove the existing thermostat and insert the new controller. For heat, I plan to either wire an electrical outlet in the upper housing to plug in a heater or mount a finned strip heater in front of the evaporator to take advantage of the constant air circulation fan. Probe placement is a variable that I'll have to experiment with.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup? My major concern is with the type and wattage of heating elements. The slickest solution is the strip heater in the airstream but so far, the lowest wattage I've found on ebay is 250w@120v. Will this be too much for 12 cubic feet? I suspect that short cycling the heater shouldn't create a problem.

Thanks for any insight
raouliii

Latest posts

Back