You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 643921
When your food dehydrator is used once a year. When it’s hop harvest time. Haha

Used to be chili harvest time for me until I quit and gave it to my neighbor.

...when you reeeeeaally need to be doing accounting but the kids got you so wound up you just had to sneak into the garage instead to bottle a batch and down a few old ones to get em revs down.

You take 4 hours (from the start of brew day to the end of clean-up) to brew 5 gallons of beer. Then you calculate that it takes 6 minutes to brew a pint. Then you figure out how long it takes to drink a pint, say 15 minutes, savoring slowly every sip. You determine the ratio of brew time to drink time and determine it is less than one. Then you wonder what the result means while you pour yourself another pint to verify the previous calculation.

You take 4 hours (from the start of brew day to the end of clean-up) to brew 5 gallons of beer. Then you calculate that it takes 6 minutes to brew a pint. Then you figure out how long it takes to drink a pint, say 15 minutes, savoring slowly every sip. You determine the ratio of brew time to drink time and determine it is less than one. Then you wonder what the result means while you pour yourself another pint to verify the previous calculation.

Guess it’s time to step up your volume..... that ROI is rookie numbers....

When this is the back of your car

20190925_072414.jpeg

Last edited:
Guess it’s time to step up your volume..... that ROI is rookie numbers....
Return on investment (ROI) is a ratio between net profit (over a period) and cost of investment. With that in mind, the net profit of drinking beer is enjoyment and the cost of investment is the time it takes to brew it.

Therefore, the longer it takes to drink it, the higher the ROI. So if consumed too fast, one might end up puking like an E*Trade Baby and instead playing it safe as a "milkaholic". Cheers!

Return on investment (ROI) is a ratio between net profit (over a period) and cost of investment. With that in mind, the net profit of drinking beer is enjoyment and the cost of investment is the time it takes to brew it.

Therefore, the longer it takes to drink it, the higher the ROI. So if consumed too fast, one might end up puking like an E*Trade Baby and instead playing it safe as a "milkaholic". Cheers!

Everyone calculates it differently! I’m just here for the beer:yes:. That there investment stuff is the reason I drink:eek:

When you stop into your friends brewery and he gives you over a pound of vacuum sealed frozen hops from the past year.

Next brew day is going to be the mystery beer. I have a brown base, not sure what grain, plus another 4#s? of mystery grain. Might have to mill up some 2 row and make my first 10 gallon batch.

When you want to move into a new home and you spend copious amounts of time studing numerous floor plan layouts and features to figure out if you could brew beer there. And look for extra space to store the stuff until ready to brew.

... your natural tendency when making oatmeal is to stir the boiling liquid and pour the oats in slowly so as to prevent “dough balls” when mashing in.

I add hot water to my oatmeal, add a pinch of salt, stir briefly and cover with a plate. I had no idea a year ago that this technique was going to come in handy for making good beer.

you know you're an alcoholic, i mean homebrewer. when your instacart driver says she's been talking around and they all say "yeah he really likes his apple juice!" lol

Ok makes sense with Belgians, but even 68 would be on the warm side for many ales.
As of yesterday, my batch of tripel is down to 1.008 from 1.080, and the quad is down to 1.030 from 1.110. It is the quad I'm trying to bring down a bit, still a little sweet. I put both on the heater vents yesterday, and they are both bubbling slowly, about once every 10-15 seconds. New samples in a bit.

As of yesterday, my batch of tripel is down to 1.008 from 1.080, and the quad is down to 1.030 from 1.110. It is the quad I'm trying to bring down a bit, still a little sweet. I put both on the heater vents yesterday, and they are both bubbling slowly, about once every 10-15 seconds. New samples in a bit.
The bubbling may just be due to CO2 coming out of solution as the beer heats up, and not actual fermentation.

Brew on :mug:

You take a growler full of the gorgeous, premium lager you birthed and cared for for over 3 months to the big Thanksgiving dinner, and the host sets it to the side and says, "Uh, thanks. What kind of wine can I get you?"

Aha! That person is off my Christmas list ... like forever.

I remember making so much that I had to leave a friend to leave some of his bottles with the neighbors. You have no idea how funny it was to explain the situation to them :)

When in the course of human events, your kegerator kicks the bucket, and despite a large tax bill, other bills, holiday shopping to do, you spend all your waking hours trying to either 1) fix the busted kegerator, or 2) find another one darn quick before the delicious goodness loses all it's carbonation and you have to resort to bottling it off to save it. I actually called out SICK today because a guy about 8 miles away has a free kegerator and I'm hoping I can talk him into delivering it.

Latest posts

Back