2nd starter and still no gravity change??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangofoxtrot308

Reaction score
For those of you who haven't seen my recent whines on other ferm posts I've give you a quick back story. Doing my first all grain and decided to do my first starter. Got some white labs had it expolde on me and after 36hrs and no gravity change I dumped it. 2nd starter was pitched Thur.When I left the house last night 29hrs no gravity change...WTF! Both times they were 1.5L starters with a .031 gravity. The yeast pitched now was taken out of the shipping box cooled to room temp and pitched in 72 degree starter with Fermax. I avoided a 2nd explosion by slow opening this time. Yeast was sizzling like a smack pac when pitched. It's Cali V white labs yeast. I know I will be told let it go 72hrs which I intend to do this time, but really why is this so hard! Everyone else seems to have a foot yeast cake in 4hrs. I've already pushed my brewing back a week so Sun I'm brewing regardless! I'm picking up a Safale 04 in the morning and will give the starter 72hrs if no gravity change it's gone and so are the liquid tubes for awhile. Made my first batch (2.5gl extract) with a smack pac straight pitch and had no probs. After this 5gl batch I doing several 2.5gl (all grain) test beers so starters be damned!!!

Came home at 41hrs and after the first swirl of the day 30mins later I heard some sizzling. Swirled again had good carb and a fading foam. Yeast seemed to stay in suspension all night wort was cloudy this morning. Hopefully it'll be rocking shortly. Still plan on picking up a Safale pack though.

Came home at 41hrs and after the first swirl of the day 30mins later I heard some sizzling. Swirled again had good carb and a fading foam. Yeast seemed to stay in suspension all night wort was cloudy this morning. Hopefully it'll be rocking shortly. Still plan on picking up a Safale pack though.

It sounds like it's going just fine!

Woke up at 51hrs and bubbles had stopped checked the OG and it was at .007...sweet! Put it in the frige for 12hrs and decant what I can hope to be brewing by 7am tomorrow!
Sorry for the newb worry, but after me first starter bombed I was nervous for this one.

Back