New Summer Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
I have concocted a recipe that should be a nice light summer beer.

Steeping Grains:
0.5 lb Carapils (1.5L)
0.5 lb Belgian Caravienne (21L)

Fermentables:
6 lb Norther Brewer Wheat Malt Extract (65% wheat / 35% light malt extract)
0.5 lb honey

Hop Schedule:
1 oz Cascade 60 Min
0.5 oz Perle 15 min
0.5 oz Perle 2 min

Additions:
2 gm Seeds of Paradise 10 min
0.5 oz Coriander seeds 10 min
Peel from one lemon 10 min

Yeast:
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit

What do you think?

Not sure I will want to ship any of this as I'm afraid it will turn out to be irresistable... but its cheap enough to give it a go on your own.

Not sure I will want to ship any of this as I'm afraid it will turn out to be irresistable... but its cheap enough to give it a go on your own.

why not lemon zest instead of lemon peel... wouldn't that produce a more pronounced flavor?

i just did a mini-mash of a Summer Saison that had 2oz. lemon zest @ 10 minutes, now i think i'm going to add peels to the secondary to bring out a bit more flavor.

i'm new, but just my $.02 :)

I am just going to take the zest, with a vegetable peeler, and since its going into the boil it should extract the essential oils in the same degree as if I used a micro plane to "zest" the lemon. So I think the effect will be the same but ensure that none of the bits make their way into the fermenter when I strain out the wort.

Just finished brewing this one. I accidentally added the full ounce of Perle hops at 15 minutes so my IBU's are going to be higher, it was at 29, now at 34. This pushed it from a wheat hybrid beer into the pale ale category, I think I'm alright with that though. OG was 1.050, so pretty much right where I expected as the grains really don't bring much of any fermentable sugars to the party. The taste of the raw wort from my gravity tube was powered by hops and sweet from the honey, but gives me great hope for the finished product. I'm hoping the lemon and seeds of paradise shine through a little more in the finished product cause they were just a little overpowered by the hops due to my little slip up. It should be an excellent brew either way.

Just bottled this last night... while flat, my sample was superb. This is going to be a great summer beer.

How did this beer turn out -- have you tapped any of the bottles yet? I was thinking about something similar.

Thanks!

I actually tapped two this weekend and the results are excellent after just two weeks in the bottle. I suggest a small lemon wedge with the beer. Very good with the Belgian wit yeast.

Back