Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farrout

Reaction score
Hey, I want to make a beer to bring to hunting camp for rifle season here in the UP of Michigan. I was thinking about a Kolsch. I have never brewed one before, so I was wondering if I had enough time to brew one and have it kegged by Nov. 15th?

OH YA! My Kolsch-Ish was up and ready in a month....you better get to it.

Note...it's much better after another month...have you thought of the mild expirament? 10 days!

I can't comment on the "mild experiment" but I can say that a true Koelsch will take you far too long. However, that's not to say you can't make a light beer with a clean ale yeast that'll be similar and ready in time. Kinda like what most people do with Maerzens.

Gonna have to fill me in on the "mild experiment"

OllllO did the 10der and Mild project. 10 mild beers...10 days from brew to SHIP DAY. They force carbed the beer, and bottled with a BMBF and shipped 'em out in 10 days.

WOW.

I'm hoping to try a mild at GABF then brew up a batch.

i was looking for a kolsch recipe too,do you know one?

Check out EdWorts Bee Cave Honey Kolsch.

Did you check out the recipe database? Here's a link to the "light hybrid" page: Light Hybrid Beer - Home Brew Forums

If you made the starter for the Kolsch yeast today, and brewed on Friday, it'd be fair by opening day, if the primary went well for you. Since you're kegging, it'd probably be somewhat decent by then, but you are cutting it pretty close for ANY type of beer- it's only about 5 weeks away.

The only beer I can think of that is actually drinkable (especially for those who are bottling, and have to have three weeks for bottle conditioning) is a hefe or maybe a mild.

My last kolsch (I used Edwort's recipe, more or less) took about 7 weeks for some of the sharpness to subside to a nice beer.

Yeah, I'm aware that I'll be cutting it close, but whatever usually the guys at deer camp won't complain about drinking green beer, as long as its beer. If i still have some of my pumpkin ale left it should be great by then, however I have a feeling it won't last that long.

Yooperbrew, I'm located in Marquette and always willing to try some beer!

Yooperbrew, I'm located in Marquette and always willing to try some beer!

:off:

Ok, if my daughter comes home this weekend, I'll try to remember to ask her to bring some beer back up to Marquette on Sunday. If she does, I'll PM you and ask you for a phone number, so she can get it to you when she gets back up there. She goes to NMU.

I'm kegging the mild tomorrow (I hope), and going to bottle some on Sunday, to make it exactly 10 days from brew to bottle. If I can get it done early in the day, I'll give her a couple to bring up.

Last Friday, I had the rye pale ale at the Vierling, and really liked it enough to bring home a growler of it. If you get the chance to try it, I recommend it!

Latest posts

Back