Blowing off again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
A first for me..
I brewed an Oktoberfest about 3 weeks ago. It sat in primary for 8 days, then was racked to the secondary. It's been in the secondary for 14 days as of today.
Yesterday, I noticed the blowoff tube was popping again. It's been pretty quiet and at ease for most of its time in the secondary. Today, it started popping pretty regularly..

Why would it start all over again?
Maybe because it got warmer outside, which in turn got warmer in the room/closet where it has been hanging out?

8 days for a lager is too short. Chances are the beer has not completed fermentation and it might be cloyingly sweet. I sugget taking a hydrometer reading, if it's high then keep the beer around 55F untill it finishes fermentation. Once it's done lager it for a month, bottle and give it two to three more weeks to carbonate before drinking.

I should have mentioned.. This was a Brewers Best kit..
The 8 days in primary was actually a day longer then they suggested.
My FG was dead to nuts, which is why I transferred.
To which, it also says to keep it at 68-72 degrees..

Sounds like you're doing what I did...an OktoberFast, using an ale yeast.

The temp rise probably fired things up again. I'd take another reading. Even though you hit your target FG, that doesn't really make it the "final" gravity.

or a Mock-toberfest :)

secondary may bubble just because your room temperature increased 2 degrees causing CO2 to gas out of the beer.

hydrometers, not airlocks, tell you when to move to secondary ,and when to bottle.

I always use my hydrometer.. Like I said in the last post, it was dead on.
I checked it again this morning (3 days later) and the FG was a bit off of the last reading. So, ill let it sit for a bit more and go from there.

I really need a fermenting box ;)

Back