What determines the alcohol level?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristan1220

Reaction score
I have heard that certain kinds of yeast do it. Also the amount and kind of sugar...

Anyone know the answer?

And why do ciders never seem to be over 5-6%

I have heard that certain kinds of yeast do it. Also the amount and kind of sugar...

Anyone know the answer?

And why do ciders never seem to be over 5-6%

The alcohol is determined by the amount of fermentables in the beginning.

If there are a lot of fermentables, then the alcohol will be higher. If there are less fermentables, then the alcohol % will be lower.

It's simple math.

More yeast won't do anything for you provided you are starting with the appropriate amount. You need more fermentable sugars.

Does temp matter at all with cider?

I downloaded an alcohol calculator app, but I don't understand how to use. It's asks for Gravity and Temp.

Does temp matter at all with cider?

I downloaded an alcohol calculator app, but I don't understand how to use. It's asks for Gravity and Temp.

Fermentation temperature matters- but between 60 and 75 degrees is good enough.

You don't need an alcohol calculator. It's simple math.

Take an original gravity with the hydrometer, before adding yeast. Take it again when fermentation ends. Then multiply times 131 for the ABV percentage.

So, if the OG is 1.050, and the FG is .990, that's 7.85% ABV.

I've found that too much sugar strips the apple flavor from a cider, I personally don't want to go above 7% in a cider, and 5.5 - 6 is perfect! For my taste anyhow

Back