Cleaning Carboy (inside-film, crud)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardPaulsen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I came into ownership of a neat shaped carboy ~5 gal, previously used for red wine.
It has a film of haze, whitish, almost like salt on your winter steps that I can't seem to get rid of.
It reminds me of when glassware gets old...maybe it's just a sign that it was used/loved, or could it be something that would prohibit it's use?
any thoughts or advice?
Thanks so much,
ed

Let it soak with a cleaner in it and filled to the top for a few days, then use one of these
catalog%20pics%20032.jpg

haven't tried oxyclean,
but have tried bleach and sanitizer separately.
residue from sanitizer water in my starter jug was cleaned with vinegar...is this a possibility?

A scoop of Oxyclean + 1 tsp of TSP (found @ hardware store, paint isle). Some warm water, a few hours, a swish with the brush and your done done done.

I've actually encountered the exact same situation. I soaked the carboy in a very strong bleach/water solution for a few days, but it didn't work. I don't have a bent brush like that, so I'll give that a try too, once I get my hands on one. It'd be a shame to let a perfectly (seemingly) good carboy go to waste...

Warm water + oxiclean + a few hours = 99% clean carboy. Use a brush to scrub any remaining junk.

I have the same problem. I've tried oxyclean, twice. Also tried bleach once, and CLR (Calcium,Lime,Rust remover). None of them worked. I'll have to try the oxyclean + TSP method, then scrub with a carboy brush

If the oxyclean doesn't work try some plain old white vinegar. It removes buildup on glass like a champ. When I have a buildup problem I pour some vinegar in, bung the top, and roll it around on its side until it's sparkling clean. Rinse well.

I've had success cleaning glass jugs and better bottles both by a long soak in whatever you have at hand followed by dumping out most of it, throwing in a handful or two of dry rice and swirling the hell out of it, and shaking it in every direction. Don't leave the rice sit in there too long, however.

It could be mineral deposits or detergent/cleaner residue. I would try the CLR or white vinegar full strength to dissolve whatever it is. Oxyclean will get any organic stuff, but might not touch mineral deposits and such.

I'll use Oxy in a pinch, but I've found that PBW is much more of a workhorse. Since its expensive, I use Oxy most of the time with PBW ever few batches.

used the oxy and TSP i bought at home depot,
definitely looked like it was good stuff, scrubbin away...
HOWEVER failed to eliminate what are likely mineral deposits.
i'm going to try the vinegar and let you all know.

If bleach, Oxyclean/TSP, sanitizer and vinegar can't strip it, maybe you can ignore it.

Latest posts

Back