Is it too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianyoung

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First time posting, first tike brewing. I bottled my beer exactly 1 week ago, but had fogotten to add the primer sugar. Could I open each bottle to add the sugar, then rebottle? Or is it too late for that? Thanks for the help.

Crack one or two & see how they react. If nothing,then maybe add a little priming sugar,about 1/2tsp to each then re-cap.

You could open and prime them...

I'd get some carb tabs though - easier than trying to get a bit of sugar water into each, i think anyway.

You're probably OK. I'd look into some carbonation tablets if you're going to be adding directly to the bottle.

I've seen guys that use a small funnel to dump a scant .5tsp of dextrose in each bottle. I use cooper's carbonation drops myself. 11.2-16oz bottles use one carb drop each. They're pretty strong,& haven't failed me once.

Use the carbonation drops... then make sure not to swish anything around or get bubbles in your beer. Be careful. You'll be okay.

When you get more into home brewing, get a kegging system. It's so much easier and you get drinkable fully carbed beer in 3 days. If you're lazy and don't have as much time on your hands its a must.

I think that's an old pic. My cooper's carb drops from the LHBS look like cough drops. And they're sort of milky clear.It seems to me,they used to look like that,though,from what I've seen on the cooper's site some time ago...

carb drops are easier than adding dextrose through a funnel if you have lots of bottles. (like, say 50 bottles). But if you only have 10, either option works. (I do dextrose & funnel when I'm bottling a single test gallon into larger bottles, since it only fills 4 bottles)

Appreciate the replies guys. Since I don't have the patience to order the tablets, I'll use sugar. Let's just hope for the best. Thanks everyone.

I'd recommend against adding dry sugar directly to the bottles. They probably have dissolved CO2 in them from carbonation and may have built up a little more since you bottled. When you dump in the sugar, there's a decent chance it's all going to foam over.

IDK,some guys I've seen on youtube (may be on here?) do it all the time. They do reviews on'em,& seem to be fine. But,tabs/carb drops are easier. They always work well too. Or priming solution,& bottling bucket with a light stir. Keep both feet on the wheel,& do what ya feel...:D

Back