Marking outside of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdf

Reaction score
On my carboys I like to mark the outside of them where the 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 3 gall... and so on are located.
Everything I have tried comes off after a couple of washes. Then I end up forgetting to remark them before they disappear, and I have to start over again.
Do any of you have something that stays on the carboy forever, or at least a while.

Thanks,
Kevin

Yup. Use a lable maker. I've washed mine at least a dozen times by now and it has not even begun to peal away. You can see it on the carboy. The top label is the 5 gal mark and the bottom one is the 2 gal mark.

I used a sharpie for a while but it just washes right off. Now I use what is basically a stick that is marked off in .5 gallon increments. I just hold it up next to the carboy when I want to measure.

I used a glass engraver on mine and filled in the etchings with black marker to make the lines more visible. The really small bits on a dremel will work too. If you do it, wear a mask since breathing glass dust tends to chafe the lungs a bit.

Hi, I use electrical tape.
At the five gallon level, I mark two sides with the black tape.
It stays on months if the bottle is dry when it is applyed,
if it gets loose reapply, but make sure its dry.
When I fill the primary,
I fill about an inch over the tape.

Theres my beeper gotta go!!!

J. Winters Knife

I used automotive pin striping I got from Pep Boys on mine. I just filled up the carboy with measure water, and followed the water around the carboy. I did one at 5gal and one at 5.5gal.

eviltwinofjoni said:
I used a glass engraver on mine and filled in the etchings with black marker to make the lines more visible. The really small bits on a dremel will work too. If you do it, wear a mask since breathing glass dust tends to chafe the lungs a bit.

Take this one step further. Go to the craft store and buy a bottle of glass etching compound. Tape off your marks. Paint the stuff on. Wash it off after 15 min and it is there until you drop the carboy. I really couldn't believe how easy it was. A little bottle is about 15 dollars and lasts forever. Buy a little tiny brush with stiff bristles too.

gaelone said:
I just nail polish (not mine).
good idea to save your nail polish for fancy dress occassions and use someone elses for things like painting carboys..... :D

I shouldn't be this complicated!

Just mark it with a sharpie and laminate it with some packing tape. This is what I have done and it has not faded.

freyguy said:
I used automotive pin striping I got from Pep Boys on mine. I just filled up the carboy with measure water, and followed the water around the carboy. I did one at 5gal and one at 5.5gal.

I think every carboy should have a racing stripe!!

Back