did i mess up???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bginder

Reaction score
i started the malt before i got my hops up to boil and cooled down. should i add the hops straight to the malt?

ok, i forgot to steep the grains, so im doing that and boiling the malt and hops together until i get the grains rolling, then just add that into the malt hop concoction. any suggestions. im in the prossess.

ok, so heres the break down

water n malt, boil, 20 min
add hop 1 to maltwater 20
in the same bag, without removing hop add irish moss and hop 2 30 min
meanwhile, grains cold start boiling 45 min
take malt off heat while grain finishes
add grain water to malthop
add hop 3 by itself 15 min
siphon to carboy add yeast

so whats going to happen? is it worth just pitching and starting over? it was 50 bucks for everything and thats alot of money for me. im just gonna see what happens. the pots in the snow cooling down ther wort. i also effed up and boiled the geletan extract and added it to the wort. i just hope it dosent over stimulize the yeast and cause a super overflow. it said to add after the 8 days fermenting first time. just wondering whats gonna happen and if its gonna be good beer or not.

Here's the deal.

As northernlad said, we don't have the decoder rings yet. Your posts are pretty cryptic.

But in any case, it sounds like you made beer.

Will it be good beer? Hard to say. It could be average, it could be stellar. I doubt it will be bad.

For future reference (I'm assuming this is your first batch?):

1.) Steep the grains first.
If you want you can even steep them in cold water a day before, but that's another story. Only steep for about 15-30 min and then take it out.
THEN add the malt extract.

2.) Add the hops per the schedule of the recipe (i.e. 60min would be the beginning of the boil, 15 min would be 45 min into the boil, etc. This assuming you are boiling for a total of 60 min.). And don't add the hops to the grain bag. The bag should already be out of the pot by now.

3.) If you are using a hop bag, don't add the Irish Moss to the hop bag. You put it straight in the boil pot with about 15 min left in the boil. The purpose of this is to grab the floaties and bring them to the bottom. If it's in the bag, that defeats the purpose.

4.) Go to http://howtobrew.com/ and get a copy of JP's book. Until you get a copy of it in your hand there's plenty of good tips and answers to your questions there.

5.) Peruse these forums and ask questions, but try to be a little more specific in your wording. If you don't know the exact terminology, ask! :D

Bottom line? Relax. Watch the little buggers do their thing and wait for that sweet sweet liquid. :mug:

Back