Ruined first batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie3

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch today it is a Porter. Everything went well until the end. I was getting pressed for time and pitched yeast at about 95 degrees. I had to go out and was afraid to let the bucket just sit out cooling to long (contamination???) Does anyone think this stands a chance?? Thanks

I sure hope so.....I am gonna keep my fingers crossed. I was wondering if the wort being to hot could kill the yeast? Thanks

120° or above and your yeast is toast but 95° won't kill your yeast. Your beer will be fine. Now, leave it alone for 2 - 3 weeks and don't obsess about it. Make another batch so you'll have something to do while you wait. Next time let it get down a few more degrees before you pitch.

Nah, it'll be fine. I pitched around 90 degrees for my first batch and it still turned out great! It is possible to shock or kill the yeast if you pitch too hot though, but you already know that!

Cool, I like what I am hearing. I am planning on just leaving in the primary for 3 weeks then bottling. I was very worried that I ruined it.

Well about 4 hours since pitching yeast and the air lock is bubbling away.....Nice to see!

It was mentioned, but look to drop your temp down prior to pitching on your next batch. Either an ice water bath in your sink or tub, or a wort chiller can get you where you need to be.

If you are pressed for time again, you can allow your wort to cool to pitching temps via the ambiant air temperature and then pitch in the morning (never done this, but have read about several who have with no ill effects). Just make sure you keep your container under sanitized conditions.

One thing I tend to do is go to the manufacturer's website for the yeast I am using and see what their recommended fermentation temperatures are. Then I bounc that info off what I can get from the forums.

Cool, I like what I am hearing. I am planning on just leaving in the primary for 3 weeks then bottling. I was very worried that I ruined it.

Frankly I think everyone who ever started brewing thought at some point that they ruined their first batch. The longest few weeks in history occur between brewing your first batch and drinking the first bottle. Quick point, Stouts take a lot longer to condition and mellow than a lot of "smaller" beers. Be prepared to wait a few extra weeks of conditioning for this beer to get "just right." +1 on the brew another batch and buy a case or two of non-twist-off bottled beer to tide you over and occupy you until it is time.

Thanks for all of the replies, I actually tried an ice bath in the kitchen sink but the stopper would not hold.....and like was mentioned above I am definetly going to get another batch going as soon as this one gets bottled. I have a Nut Brown Ale kit all ready to go. The Airlock is now bubbling about every 1.5 seconds!!! Very Cool:mug:

If you are pressed for time again, you can allow your wort to cool to pitching temps via the ambiant air temperature and then pitch in the morning (never done this, but have read about several who have with no ill effects). Just make sure you keep your container under sanitized conditions.

A friend of mine used to do this - just load it up into the fermentor, put the lid and airlock on then stick it somewhere cool to get the temp down - pitch in the morning. Never tried it myself but it worked for him.

Quick note on the ICE BATH. If you throw a cup or two of iodized salt into the ice water (not your wort!!!) it will bring your wort down to 70 faster than a normal ice bath. Also, try using vodka in your air lock instead of water. Vodka is sterile, so if your beer sucks any of the water in the airlock back into the fermentor you don't risk any contamination via dirty water. Just a thought...

Back