Am I a homebrewer? NO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we actual nerds have had to put up with a bunch of *****ebags we would have wanted dead in high school proudly calling themselves "nerds" today I think it stands to reason that an epithet like "home brewer" could change over the span of decades as well.
Hahaha, yeah... this is a little frustrating. I was a loser for playing Zelda and reading Lord of the Rings. Now all the cool kids are playing Skyrim and talking about Game of Thrones. Guess we were just ahead of our time!

I blame Mr. Roper who used Mrs. Roper's stockings to make beer for Jack Tripper. He's responsible for the negative perception of homebrewers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm no spring chicken at 43, but still I have yet to ever encounter anyone who hears me say I'm a homebrewer who isn't genuinely excited to try my beer. My family made their own wine when I was growing up as well, so I've been around the term for a while. I don't ever remember anyone concerned about homebrew being a negative term.

I'm not saying you are wrong, maybe I grew up in a different environment than you were in in your days of brewing. I just never perceived the negativity you have.

Yeah, You are a Spring Chicken at 43...

When I think of "artisan" products, I think of products that are pretentious, over-priced, and generally poorly made. Coincidentally, that's been my experience with "artisan" beers.

Most homebrewers I know care deeply about their product and are constantly striving to improve their brewing process or to try out new ingredients. I'd so much rather people call me a homebrewer than some hipster "artisan" ********* label.

Do you buy "artisan" bread? "Craft" has been robbed by the "homebrew" bunch that thought they could compete with BMC. Few make it , most crump. My beers are "artisan". They are not brewed at "home", but rather in a dedicated brew shop. Research goes into the development of recipes and then brewed. Should the result be faulty, the results are thrown out. If the results are satisfactory, my friends and family indulge. If the results are extraordinary, I present them to competitions and friends and family still indulge. You may be a "homebrewer", I am not. I am an "artisan" brewer even though, at 74, I hardly consider myself a "hipster" or even a *********.'
Thanks for the reply though. Cheers..

I hardly consider myself a "hipster" or even a *********.'
Hipsters, *****ebags, and hipster-*****ebags rarely considers themselves such.

Kidding, of course. You can call yourself and your beer whatever you want. I might steal... er, "co-opt" that 'dedicated brew shop' thing for my garage, to keep out those pesky cars.

If artisan means something is hand crafted by someone who has practiced year after year, and really gives a shi* about where the ingredients come from and the final product at finish, then I am an artisan baker. Old school recipes, old school methods, top quality ingredients, and trying something new with what I have to work with, then yes. For me personally to call myself a artisan brewer, would be in my opinion, pretentious. My dedicated brew room is where my wife's car parks in the winter. Do I research the style I want to produce, of course I do. Do I search for the best ingredients, yes I do. Do I regulate every step during the brewing so I can repeat this recipe time after time, I had better. Sudbuster, I have no knowledge of how long you have been brewing, and I tip my hat to your experience simply from your post. I have only won one best of category, and to me it was a huge deal. Had my wife not have incessantly prompted to enter it, I wouldn't have. So, if my wife tells me again to enter a competition, I will. Otherwise, I don't brew for contest judges, I brew for me what I like, the way I want it made. Of course, SWMBO always has the last say

You may be a "homebrewer", I am not

Well, I for one will agree with you. When I brew at home I'm a brewer. When I cook at home I'm simply a cook, not a homecooker! I've talked "homebrew" with a few people since i've been brewing that had a very negative outlook on "homebrewing" so, I see what your saying.

Anyone will show up for a home cooked meal, not everyone will show up for a home brewed beer. To each his own.

IDGAF what some ignorant people might think about the term homebrewer. I brew at home as a hobby, so I'm a home brewer. I cook at home in my kitchen, but I would not tell people I'm a cook because that would imply that it is my profession. I cook and brew at home, so call it whatever you want. I could care less about what kind of perception that gives to the uninformed. I bake bread at home, but I'm not a baker by profession. I bake **** at home. Call it whatever you want. But I think the negative perception is a thing of the past, so call yourself what you want and STFU about it.

I see your angle OP... but I feel like artisan is a little over the top. Sounds arrogant.

I hardly consider myself a "hipster" or even a *********.

<throws ironic scarf over shoulder and exits room>

You hipster, you. ;)

-Sent from a typewriter connected to my iPhone while sitting in my Prius and vaping. You probably wouldn't understand what that is. Scoff.

I am an "amateur zymologist" and I "conduct experiments" in my "brewing laboratory'

I am also an amateur photographer and a semi-pro musician

I'm an accountant.

I don't think I've ever told anyone I'm a "home brewer". I make beer. At home. But I also make food at home, and I don't use a special term for that. I mow my own lawn but I'm not a landscaper, and I clean my own home, but that doesn't make me a maid.

I make beer because I like beer and I like the process. But it's not who I am.

I'm an accountant.

I don't think I've ever told anyone I'm a "home brewer". I make beer. At home. But I also make food at home, and I don't use a special term for that. I mow my own lawn but I'm not a landscaper, and I clean my own home, but that doesn't make me a maid.

I make beer because I like beer and I like the process. But it's not who I am.

Well said. I don't feel the need to label myself either.

Do you buy "artisan" bread? "Craft" has been robbed by the "homebrew" bunch that thought they could compete with BMC. Few make it , most crump. My beers are "artisan". They are not brewed at "home", but rather in a dedicated brew shop. Research goes into the development of recipes and then brewed. Should the result be faulty, the results are thrown out. If the results are satisfactory, my friends and family indulge. If the results are extraordinary, I present them to competitions and friends and family still indulge. You may be a "homebrewer", I am not. I am an "artisan" brewer even though, at 74, I hardly consider myself a "hipster" or even a *********.'
Thanks for the reply though. Cheers..

pre•ten•tious

Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Having or showing the unpleasant quality of people who want to be regarded as more impressive, successful, or important than they really are

1: characterized by pretension: as
a : making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing)
b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature

So, home brewed beer is not commercial and home grown veges are not commercial. And thank God for it!

I'm not a home brewer, I'm a brewery resident.

I have visions of you sleeping it off under a vat at a microbrewery somewhere, with your shopping cart full of worldly possessions outside the door...:D

Are you sure you aren't a resident brewer, instead?

So, home brewed beer is not commercial and home grown veges are not commercial. And thank God for it!

Yeah... I couldn't really get behind the OP's statement that he tries to make his beer indistinguishable from commercial products. WTF? Why go to all that trouble to make something you can just buy at the corner market? It's like trying to reproduce a Big Mac or Whopper at home....

Not that Im disagreeing with you troy but making clone brews is pretty educating for seing how close or if not better you can make it. And as far as making a big mac or whopper, well I was stumbled upon it on youtube before and am kinda interested in how to make some commercial food especially like a taco bell crunch wrap. Hey at least you can make a healthier version of it at home though.And not have to actually eat that garbage. Red Lobster buiscuits etc.. Ever wondered how McDonalds makes those fries? Its pretty interesting and quite a process really. It sounds fun to do also. Yet I hate everything McDonalds stands for. I like their onion cheddarburger but I don't have to like where it comes from and what its made from,nor do I rarely want to eat from there.
Also I think my beer is indistinguishable from commercial beer mostly but that's not always a good thing. I have yet to make a clone taste exactly the same as a commercial beer as well and on my part is that I usually always had to sub ingredients that I didn't have or I didn't hit my target OG or something. Ive liked some of my clones better but it usually didn't taste like the clone. Sometimes not as good.

I blame Mr. Roper who used Mrs. Roper's stockings to make beer for Jack Tripper. He's responsible for the negative perception of homebrewers.

Hahaha, I remember that episode. Jack was spitting out barley when Roper said he used his wife's stockings to strain it, then Jack about threw up.

You are probably right.

Yeah... I couldn't really get behind the OP's statement that he tries to make his beer indistinguishable from commercial products. WTF? Why go to all that trouble to make something you can just buy at the corner market? It's like trying to reproduce a Big Mac or Whopper at home....

No it's not. Big Macs and Whoppers taste good :)

Oh!, By The Way, the term "home cooker", is now a reference to a person that cooks Meth in their house, so you might not want to use that one.

If any of you feel you can no longer bear the shackles that the monicker "Homebrewer" places upon you I will step up and remove those shackles by removing the brewing equipment AND the beer that has plagued you. I would do that for you!

I have visions of you sleeping it off under a vat at a microbrewery somewhere, with your shopping cart full of worldly possessions outside the door...:D

Are you sure you aren't a resident brewer, instead?

In Cooking in a Bedsitter, Katherine Whitehorn describes a committed chef who responded to her amazement at what he could produce on a single hotplate in his room by explaining that "I am not cooking in my bedroom but sleeping in my kitchen."

I think that an artisan brewer stirs wort clockwise on even days and counterclockwise on odd days. To be an artisan kit brewer, it is a requisite to own an expensive electric Euro can opener to chop the lids off tin cans of syrup, while watching Rocky and Bullwinkle and sipping beer from a demitasse cup with the pinky finger held at a 90 degree angle from the rest of the fingers.

Hey, let's not get personal. I own every episode of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, along with all the early Tom & Jerry cartoons - and most of the cartoons with Yosemite Sam in them. Not to mention a couple of Lucky Luke movies....

Not that Im disagreeing with you troy but making clone brews is pretty educating for seing how close or if not better you can make it. And as far as making a big mac or whopper, well I was stumbled upon it on youtube before and am kinda interested in how to make some commercial food especially like a taco bell crunch wrap. Hey at least you can make a healthier version of it at home though.And not have to actually eat that garbage. Red Lobster buiscuits etc.. Ever wondered how McDonalds makes those fries? Its pretty interesting and quite a process really. It sounds fun to do also. Yet I hate everything McDonalds stands for. I like their onion cheddarburger but I don't have to like where it comes from and what its made from,nor do I rarely want to eat from there.
Also I think my beer is indistinguishable from commercial beer mostly but that's not always a good thing. I have yet to make a clone taste exactly the same as a commercial beer as well and on my part is that I usually always had to sub ingredients that I didn't have or I didn't hit my target OG or something. Ive liked some of my clones better but it usually didn't taste like the clone. Sometimes not as good.
Nothing wrong with brewing clones, either as a learning experience or just because you like the originals. But that isn't the same thing as a goal of 'making my beer indistinguishable from a commercial brewery,' which seems to be the OP's raison d'être... :(

I don't know.... It doesn't really matter if you make beer at your house or a commercial brewery. If you brew it you are a brewer. I don't see the need for a distinction. Unless you are going to say one is clearly superior to the other.....;)
I think there's a difference. As a longtime veteran of the construction industry, I wouldn't call homeowners who build their own sheds, decks or detached garages carpenters, even though they're engaging in carpentry. I reserve the term for those who do it for a living... and 'superiority' has nothing to do with it.

To reiterate what I said before, I think I have to support the OP on this one, but for a self-serving reason he most likely didnt intend.

I think whenever a term has been sullied or given a negative association, two options are to either strive to return that term to a more positive light or market and use another more suitable term.

For example, as an Executive Assistant by trade, I would and will watch you burn to a cinder screaming in agony rather than help you if you have previously called me a "Secretary".

If sudbuster would rather be called a "Brewocrat" or an "Artisan Brewer" or whatever... I will try to remember when I speak to him and call him that....

Just so long as he realizes he wants to us to be more Politically Correct.

But you are a secretary...

Bill-Hader-Popcorn-reaction-Gif-On-The-Daily-Show.gif

It probably makes you an outlaw. Home brewing is legal. Brewing at a commercial location? Not sure.

Grey area for sure but since he isn't producing any alcohol on location it slips into that "6 of one half dozen of the other" type of thing.

Kinda like when they made my line foreman job blue collar & started calling us team co-coordinators. I hate this PC crap. not to mention a lower pay grade.

Maybe it's as simple as: anything brewed for non-commercial purposes is "homebrewed". For instance, if a so-called "artisan" brewer brews for resale, he's a commercial brewer. If he brews for personal use, he is a homebrewer. It's not as much in the wording as it is in the purpose. Endo convo.

Back