Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just kegged this Thursday night, force carbed, and pulled a glass this morning. Good blonde, would be a nice hot summer day beer and perfect for those just tipping their toes into the beer world. Thanks for the recipe.

I have brewed this more times then I can remember. This batch I added sweet orange peel (10 gallon batch) it ended up sitting probably a little over a month until I kegged it. Never made a sour before but this tastes just like one. I think I used s04 on this one. The other 5 gallons tasted normal. Saw no visual sign of an infection (and I have had some before). Any ideas what it could be??????

Any ideas?? I think I am gonna dump tomorrow.

Awesome, please be sure to let us know how everything goes!

Brew day went great, although I think my thermometer isn't calibrated so I probably mashed a little lower... That's OK a bit drier will be fine with me. got 88% efficiency so I'm pretty happy

I used s-04 and dealing with trying to keep the temp down. Heat wave here at the moment and it's going absolutely mental at 24C (75F). Might end up with some fruity esters?? Anyway it's going to be a Christmas beach beer so should be nice anyway! I'll post a pic when it's done mmm

Has anyone used Mandarina Bavaria instead of Cascade hops?

I have 10 gallons of this in primary (9 days in) and used ~.5 oz at flameout after using the recommended amounts of cascade. My gravity was 1.055 so I wanted some more hop nose to accompany any additional sweetness.

The gravity sample smells strongly of orange, almost like a Weissbier. I haven't brewed this recipe exactly by the letter so I can't speak to the difference, but it is pleasant. I'm still on the fence about using my last .5oz to dryhop. I wish I had more but it was a small sample from a local brewmaster.

Has anyone used Mandarina Bavaria instead of Cascade hops?

I have 10 gallons of this in primary (9 days in) and used ~.5 oz at flameout after using the recommended amounts of cascade. My gravity was 1.055 so I wanted some more hop nose to accompany any additional sweetness.

The gravity sample smells strongly of orange, almost like a Weissbier. I haven't brewed this recipe exactly by the letter so I can't speak to the difference, but it is pleasant. I'm still on the fence about using my last .5oz to dryhop. I wish I had more but it was a small sample from a local brewmaster.

Report: my mom drinks bud light. Occasionally a blue moon. She asked for this beer more than a few times last night when there was a crisper full of Bud Lights.

Id say this beer passes the test!

Also...could i do maybe .25 ounces of citra at 20 minutes? Would like to get some tropical notes in it. Or maybe dry hop for aroma only and no bitter?

Also...could i do maybe .25 ounces of citra at 20 minutes? Would like to get some tropical notes in it. Or maybe dry hop for aroma only and no bitter?

if you want some tropical, then I'd recommend you try to dry-hop or fermentation-hop with an 1/4oz or 1/2oz each of mosaic and amarillo. There are other good hops for this, but I'm most familiar with these.

If you don't care about clarity, then also switch the yeast to WLP644 -- it makes for a very fruity beer. It will take forever to clear, though. It's my current go-to IPA yeast if I want fruity instead of clean yeast/hop character.

Thanks Andrew! I am really familiar with citra as it is my main aromatic in my house IPA so Ill do with that for a dry hop. Thanks for the feedback and merry christmas!

Bottled today, definitely has a bit more colour. I didn't stick to the strict 10l crystal so I think it's coming from that? Or perhaps my Vienna was a bit darker? Either way it looks pretty. Tastes fantastic, I think the s-04 esters from getting a bit hot have complimented the all centennial really well. I was super worried the hot ferment I got would screw things up but I think letting it clean up for 2 weeks has helped. Photo and carbed report in a week!

if you want some tropical, then I'd recommend you try to dry-hop or fermentation-hop with an 1/4oz or 1/2oz each of mosaic and amarillo. There are other good hops for this, but I'm most familiar with these.

If you don't care about clarity, then also switch the yeast to WLP644 -- it makes for a very fruity beer. It will take forever to clear, though. It's my current go-to IPA yeast if I want fruity instead of clean yeast/hop character.
Did you still follow the same fermentation time?

Is it just me, or does this create an extremely high water/grain ratio? Beersmith is showing a ratio over 3qt/lb, which seems high. 2qt/lb is the highest I have worked with in the past.

Maybe a setting is incorrect? Can anyone chime in?

I've brewed the 5gal recipe enough times now that I felt confident to take a stab at a 10gal batch today. I hit 82% BH efficiency with a little over 11 gal into the ferment buckets. Will be just shy of 5% ABV when it's done fermenting :mug:

Update: S.G. on this batch was 1.009 on 1/10/17 and still cloudy so I left it be to clear. F.G. hit 1.008 and I bottled half on 1/16 and the rest on 1/17, luv this yeast strain! It was drinkable a week later and continues to improve, at 4.86% ABV it is my favorite light beer now ( ;

Brewed this for the Holidays, and it turned out to be very popular with the BMC crowd as well as with the hoppy craft brew crowd.

Thanks for the recipe!

I followed the recipe on the first page, 5 gallons.

Just bought the ingredients to do the recipe as-is on the first page. My intention is to split a 10gal batch and ferment half using the Nottingham yeast and the other half using White Lab's German Lager yeast, followed by a decent lagering period. It will be interesting to see how the 2 halves compare.

I'm doing this again with a Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale yeast. This recipe works with everything. I've done raspberry, banana, Columbus, dry hop, British Ale yeast, American Ale, California Ale, Nottingham, etc.

I've brewed variations of this about 20 times. I have never done a lager with this. :confused:

I love the UK.
sienna.jpg
I envy BierMuncher.

2 ounces does not seem like much hops for a 1o gallon batch? Anyone ever done this beer with more?

I regularly 10 gallons of this as written with the exception I add 1 Oz of each centennial and cascade at flame out. Turns out great

2 ounces does not seem like much hops for a 1o gallon batch? Anyone ever done this beer with more?

Yes, I regularly use this as a base for experimentation with other hops. It's a good neutral-but-not-flavorless beer that won't hide the characters of various hops at whirlpool or dryhop.

I brewed this up with a slight variation....I eliminated the Vienna and added 2.5 pounds of MO. I wanted to get a slight bit more malty flavor and I wanted to boost the ABV to around 5.5 to 6ish.
All went well on Wed the 18th, OG of 1.055.....Now Monday the 23rd and it finished at 1.008. She went into the keg tonight to chill and then I'll force carb on Tues and Wed and should be drinking by Thursday or maybe Fri depending.

I brewed up a 5 gallon extract version of the Centennial Blonde on January 14, 2017. It has been in the primary for 2 weeks as of tomorrow. Is this enough time to go ahead and bottle this beer tomorrow?

When I was making this recipe in 5gal I thought the hop quantity was a little on the low side for my liking. I played around with just moving the 60min hop addition to a FWH instead. I liked it better that way, so when I brewed my first 10Gal batch I bumped the FWH addition up to .625 oz of Centennial, it only increased the IBU's by another point but to my taste buds it's perfect.

I bottled this 5 gallon batch with 5g of priming sugar. I just got to thinking that might have been too much from what the recipe said. Am I going to have exploding bottles on my hands?

5g or 5oz? When I bottle this I typically use 4oz. 5oz will not cause bombs if fermentation was completed. When I started brewing I would use the 5 oz packs that came with kits. They caused slightly more carbonation than I liked

I'm sorry. I meant 5oz. I let it ferment for 2 weeks. Was at its fg when I bottled

I brewed this on the 18th....The keg is almost kicked :eek:
I bought the ingredients to brew this one up again and thought I'd throw a slight variation in there....has anyone ever used Herkules hops? My LHBS tells me it should impart a slight strawberryish flavor, yet every search I do does not reference that.

Does this look a little dark compared to what others have come out with after it was done?

1486253116472-245756100.jpg

Kegged my version with mosaic hops on the back side additions. Its my best yet, and just in time for the stuperbowl

Does thimt s look a little dark compared to what others have come out with after it was done?

Any extract version of any recipe is gonna be a little darker. Also did you use the extra light extract or a darker version extract. And most of the pics are probably from all grain recipe.

Latest posts

Back