smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermonster1985

Reaction score
so last year i made 40 litres of cider, 2 20 liter batches 1 was natural fermentation and the other was wine yeast, both smelt good. this year i only made 20 litres and its bottled, but this year i used pectin in the must and campden tabs, then for fermentation i used notty ale yeast, straight away in fermentation it was kicking out a smell and the missus werent happy, smelt bad (not toxic) but a bit ****ty, anyway its cleared bottled tastes good, no problem just the smell. what is the cause of it and has anyone had similar problem. :D

Read Edwort's lenghty thread on Apfelwein. It is called rhino farts.

The smell is H2S, which is detectable at very low concentrations. Perhaps the pectinase also removed some nutrients from the juice, causing the yeast to be a bit stressed. It is a very common problem, best not to bottle until the smell clears.

so last year i made 40 litres of cider, 2 20 liter batches 1 was natural fermentation and the other was wine yeast, both smelt good. this year i only made 20 litres and its bottled, but this year i used pectin in the must and campden tabs, then for fermentation i used notty ale yeast, straight away in fermentation it was kicking out a smell and the missus werent happy, smelt bad (not toxic) but a bit ****ty, anyway its cleared bottled tastes good, no problem just the smell. what is the cause of it and has anyone had similar problem. :D

You can virtually eliminate that smell by using yeast nutrient/energizer/D.A.P. (diammonium phosphate) at the beginning of your primary fermentation. Regards, GF.

Back