My Holiday Spiced Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
1/2 cup freshly course ground coffee
4 cups of near boiling water
1/5 of a cinnamon stick shredded by hand
3 quarter size slices fresh ginger minced
2 cloves (crushed)
couple grinds of fresh nutmeg (optional)
tiny pinch of salt

Put all ingredients into press pot, steep for 4 minutes, and enjoy.

Chefs note: all ingredients can be raised/lowered to your liking. It really takes some experimenting to find your perfect blend. Also, if you don't have a press pot, just put all of the above ingredients into your drip basket. With that said, you will probably need to up the amounts of everything.

Salt curiously blocks bitterness. The pinch here will cut the bitterness of the coffee and allow some of the other flavors of the coffee to shine through. It's not the first time I've seen it recommended in coffee. I've been tempted to toss a pinch in my grinder when I grind the beans.

As Myrdhyn said, the salt cuts the bitterness. If you haven't tried it, throw a tiny pinch (1/8th tsp?) in your finished pot of coffee, or into your french press. It's like when baking, it doesn't make your confections salty, just brings all of the flavors out a bit.

Back