Sabco Kettle Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfDoom

Reaction score
Used my Sabco kettle as a mashtun for the first time last night while doing an Octoberfest, have the false bottom kit for it and had up to this point only used it as a kettle. Did a step mash with a total of 12#'s of grain, did the 50-60-70 thing, when I was done mashing opened the valve to drain the wort to the kettle and got nothing. Zero flow, ended up picking up the whole kitten kabootle and dumpinig it into my coolertun which flowed just fine.

What gives? Was my mash too thick/thin? Used 1.5q per pound with an extra 1/2 gallon to cool the wort. Any ideas

All in all everything seems to have turned out ended up with 5 gallons at 1.062 nice color but not real dark like some of the domestic Octoberfests I have seen. Pitched a prepared starter and had airlock activity within 4 hours.

**** dude, sounds like a nice salvage. Frustrating but a salvage none the less.

Yea it was kind of funny, I work at night and brew on my days off this was happening at about 1:00AM outside on my driveway. I'm sure the neighbors appreciate my latenight brewing escapades and the cursing that sometimes goes along with it. After all it is the middle of the day for me and they don't hesitate to make noise at night ie. 1:00PM.

Back