Rhizome shape question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what a rhizome should look like. In February, i got two rhizomes from my LHBS - Nuggett & Willamette - and planted in mid-March. The Nugget rhizome looked like how you'd expect a plant bulb to look - kind of plump, odd shapped with sprouts about it. However, the nugget looked, literally, like a twig - no sprouts, straight, "bark-y" and about 1/4" diameter.

My Nugget has got a couple shoots broken through in the past week, but i've got no growth that i can find (with some light digging) from the Willamette. Did my LHBS screw me in giving me an immature, or improperly cut rhizome? I never thought they would/should look like a straight twig.

Sorry, no pics.

I got a cascade rizhome from freshops, it just looked like a 6" long stick with a couple of buds on it that reminded me of eyes on a potatoe. It's been in the planter now for about a month and I only have 1 shoot that came up.

Back