Stuck Ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdinOneEye

Reaction score
I had a cider going from around the 23rd of June consisting of 5 gallons of Apple Cider, 2 pounds brown sugar, two pounds honey, a teaspoon of nutrient and Lavlin champagne yeast.
It had a fairly slow start, but at its height I'd say it was bubbling at 26-30 bubbles in the airlock per minute; now it's the 8th of July and any fermentation that might have been going on has absolutely stopped. I did a SG check while syphoning into my secondary and it's sitting at 1.080 and was really really sweet- I'm talking you could still taste the honey sweet.
I'm curious: any way I might be able to get the ferment started again? Right now I'm thinking of topping up with boiled (obviously cooled to room temp) water to dilute things a bit.
Should I toss in another thingie of yeast or no?

1.080 or 1.008? What was the OG? Honey can really slow a ferment and champagne yeast is best used for finishing. A cider, mead, or white wine yeast might have been a better choice. If your reading is 1.080, pitch one of those. A cider should finish below 1.000.

Latest posts

Back