Kettle caramelization - what styles other than Scottish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfkriege

Reaction score
I recently did my first kettle caramelized scottish ale, and am loving how it is going so far. The depth of flavor is excellent. I could see enjoying it in a stout or other dark beers, and have even seen the technique used for an ESB.

So, here is the question:

What other styles have people used this technique on? or What other styles or beers would you like to try it on?

Anything where you want a great malt profile. I've only done it a few times, but I've always got great results. I mean to do it more. It's like adding a big dose of medium crystal malt, but much better in all ways.

I'd try barleywines, old ales, bocks, bitters, ambers, most anything that's not light bodied and very hoppy, basically.

What is your carmelization process?

I took 2 gallons of the first runnings and boiled it down until I was essentially making caramel. I make caramel quite often as a part of normal cooking, so it was just done by taste and sight and feel, but I know that it took a solid 90 minutes to get where I wanted it.

I took 2 gallons of the first runnings and boiled it down until I was essentially making caramel. I make caramel quite often as a part of normal cooking, so it was just done by taste and sight and feel, but I know that it took a solid 90 minutes to get where I wanted it.

So what does the 2 gals reduce down to? Less than a gallon I assume? I may have to try this.

What is the best way to describe the end product at temperature? I like malty brews, and thought the technique was intriguing. Does it get as thick as maple syrup at room temperature? I'm concerned that I'd scorch it and S&&^% my batch up.

Belgian Dubble, Belgian Dark Strong, Bock and Weizenbock would do well with some carmelazation flavors.

william_shakes_beer said:
What is the best way to describe the end product at temperature? I like malty brews, and thought the technique was intriguing. Does it get as thick as maple syrup at room temperature? I'm concerned that I'd scorch it and S&&^% my batch up.

You have to constantly stir it once it starts to thicken.

Agree, and this is something that can be done for any brew method. BIAB, extract, partial mash can all do this with a portion of their wort as well.

I took the two gallons down to somewhere between a pint and a quart. I actually got to the portion where the temperature starts to rise past 220F. And then I watched it like a hawk.

It was the thickness of room temperature maple syrup when it was hot.

Back